2022-2023 Board

President: Jim Walker

Vice-President: Rich Warosh

Secretary: Karla Leppen

Treasurer: Joe Crueger

Newsletter: Sue Goodacre

Website: LuAnn Elsinger

Membership: Carol Gardner

Earl J. Sherwood

Reprinted from the Stevens Point Daily Journal, Monday, May 19, 1930. Contributed by Jeanne Stanis.



Thought at First Not Seriously Hurt, Internal Injuries Develop

Earl J. Sherwood, age 36, an employe on the William Borchert farm in the town of Lanark, died Sunday morning from internal injuries he sustained last Friday during a runaway in a field on the Borchert farm when a manure spreader passed over his body.

It was thought at first that he had not been seriously injured, and after his removal to the home of his mother, Mrs. Arvilla Hopkins, who resides on Highway 54 in Lanark, he was able to sit up in bed and even get up from his bed.

Worse Saturday Night

The young man received medical attention following the accident. It was believed until Saturday night that his recovery would be only a matter of a few days, but he grew much worse in the night and the doctor was again summoned. The victim's death occurred Sunday morning at 10 o'clock. In addition to several broken ribs, he had suffered injuries to his kidneys. It is believed that two wheels of the spreader passed over his body when the team of horses ran away, pitching him from the driver's seat.

Resided with Mother

Mr. Sherwood was born and raised in the Lanark section, spending his entire life there with the exception of two years when he was located at Neenah, where he was employed at a paper mill. He returned to Lanark from Neenah last February and accepted employment on the Borchert farm, but continued to reside with his mother, Mrs. Hopkins, whose place is a mile distant from Borchert's.

Besides his mother, the deceased is survived by four step-sisters. The date of his birth was July 13, 1894.


Reprinted from the Stevens Point Daily Journal, Stevens Point, Wisconsin, Tuesday, May 20, 1930:

Funeral of Lanark Man Wednesday

Funeral service for Earl J. Sherwood, 36, son of Mrs. Arvilla Hopkins of Lanark, who was fatally injured when run over by a manure spreader last Friday on the William Borchert farm, will be conducted at 10 o'clock Wednesday morning from St. Patrick's church in Lanark. Mr. Sherwood was thought at first to be not seriously hurt, but internal injuries developed and he died Sunday morning.

Mary Leary Spindler

Reprinted from the Stevens Point Daily Journal, Saturday, April 6, 1974. Contributed by Jeanne Stanis.

Mrs. Merton Spindler

Mrs. Merton Spindler, 60, 1969 Plover St., died at 9:20 p.m. Friday at St. Michael's Hospital, where she had been a patient since March 26.

She was the former Mary Margaret Leary, daughter of the late Mr. and Mrs. Edward P. Leary.

Born at Custer, March 15, 1914, she was graduated from high school in Stevens Point and was employed by the Copps Distributing Co. here for more than 32 years until her retirement in 1972.

Her marriage to Merton Spindler took place June 24, 1950, at St. Mary's Catholic Church, Custer. He died March 23, 1972.

Mrs. Spindler's survivors include a sister, Mrs. Maynard (Eileen) Skinner, Kansas City, Mo., and four brothers, William, 1969 Plover St., Robert, Oshkosh, Norman, Fond du Lac, and Richard, Tacoma, Wash.

A sister and three brothers preceded her in death.

Mrs. Spindler was a member of St. Stephen's Altar Society.

Funeral services will be held at St. Stephen's Catholic Church Monday morning at 10, with burial in St. Mary's Cemetery, Custer.

Friends may call at the Crosby Funeral Home after 3 p.m. Sunday. The rosary will be said there Sunday night at 7:30.

Gertrude Doyle Steffanus

Reprinted from the Stevens Point Daily Journal, Saturday, January 14, 1989. Contributed by Jeanne Stanis.

Gertrude Steffanus

Gertrude Steffanus, 83, formerly of 2041 McCulloch St., died Friday at St. Francis Home, Fond du Lac. She was a resident there since 1983.

Services will be held at 10 a.m. Monday at St. Stephen Catholic Church. The Rev. Joseph Konopacky will officiate. Burial will be in the parish cemetery.

Friends may call after 4 p.m. Sunday at Boston Funeral Home. A rosary will be prayed at 7 p.m. A memorial has been established in her name for the Stevens Point Area Health Foundation.

Mrs. Steffanus was born Jan. 13, 1906, in Custer, daughter of the late Richard and Ellen Doyle. She was graduated from Stevens Point Normal School and taught in town of Stockton schools. She was married to Clements Steffanus Jane 27, 1928, at St. Stephen Church. He died in 1975.

The couple farmed in Ellis until 1950, when they moved to their McCulloch Street address. Mrs. Steffanus later taught at St. Stephen and St. Peter schools. She was a member of St. Stephen Church and its Altar Society.

She is survived by four daughters, Mary (Lee) Ditter, Malone, Gertrude Steffanus, Denver, Colo., Lorraine (Hilary) Welp, Dufur, Ore., and Diane (Bruce) Thompson, Sutton, Neb.; two sons, Norman (Janet) Waukesha, and LeRoy (Connie), Wheaton, Ill.; 12 grandchildren and two great-grandchildren; and one sister, Lucy Doyle, Stevens Point. She was preceded in death by one son, seven sisters and three brothers.

Edward D. Stinson

Reprinted from the Stevens Point Daily Journal, Tuesday, August 20, 1935. Contributed by Jeanne Stanis.

Edward D. Stinson

Edward D. Stinson, a resident of the town of Belmont most of his life, died Monday afternoon at 2:30 o'clock at his home. He had been in ill health for several months and was confined to bed most of the time for the past two weeks.

At the time of his death Mr. Stinson was vice-president of the First National bank of Waupaca. He was a former member of the Portage county board of supervisors.

He was born on August 1, 1859, near Rochester, New York. During his childhood he moved to Wisconsin with his parents. The family located in the town of Belmont where he had since resided. His marriage to Miss Mary Timlin took place on October 12, 1882, at St. Stephen's church at Stevens Point. the ceremony was performed by Rev. N. L. July. The couple purchased a farm in Belmont which has since been the family home.

Surviving are his wife, a son, Henry W. Stinson of the town of Belmont, three daughters, Mrs. Elizabeth Thompson and Mrs. Fred B. Young of Almond and Mrs. A. R. Bunker of Belmont, a brother, Henry Stinson, Sr., of Lanark, two sisters, Mrs. Frances Timbers of Eau Claire and Mrs. M. P. Leary, 429 South Illinois avenue and six grandchildren, Lowell and Gordon Thompson, Adrian and Leland Brunker, Mrs. Crystal Stinson Beler and Mrs. Maybelle Young Konach.

Funeral services will be held Thursday morning at 10 o'clock at St. Patrick's Catholic church at Lanark. Rev. DeLoyd Krembs will officiate and interment will follow in the parish cemetery.

The body is at the family home in Belmont where it will be until the time of the funeral. The rosary will be said at the home Wednesday evening at 8 o'clock.


Reprinted from the Stevens Point Daily Journal, Stevens Point, Wisconsin, Saturday, August 24, 1935:

Funeral of Mr. Stinson

Funeral services for Edward D. Stinson, who died Monday afternoon at his home at Belmont, were held Thursday morning at 10 o'clock at St. Patrick's church at Lanark. Rev. DeLoyd Krembs officiated and interment took place in the parish cemetery. The church choir sang during the requiem mass. Two solos, "Going Home" and "Enough to Know," were sung by Miss Anne Marie Russell of Stevens Point. She was accompanied by Miss Katheryn Breitenstein, also of Stevens Point.

Father Krembs spoke of the life of Mr. Stinson, who was one of the oldest parishioners of St. Patrick's congregation and an early pioneer of Portage county where he had been a continuous resident for three-quarters of a century.

The pallbearers were Albert Krutza, John Jacowski, Jacob Anderson, Clarence W. Morgan, C. H. Collier and Joseph Swetalla.

Honorary pallbearers were Charles H. Benlick, R. D. Luther, F. O. Stratton, C. N. Nelson, Col. William Holden and Dr. P. J. Chistofferson, all of Waupaca.

Mrs. E. O. Hardell was in charge of the flowers, assisted by Mrs. Patrick W. Riley, Mrs. Leo Krutza, Mrs. Harry R. Grant and Mrs. William Warner.

Among the large number of friends and relatives who attended the funeral were many who came from Stevens Point, Waupaca, Almond and neighboring vicinities. Mr. and Mrs. Chauncy E. Rau of Milwaukee were also present.

Oswin Smith

Reprinted from the Stevens Point Daily Journal, Monday, August 25, 1924. Contributed by Jeanne Stanis.

Interment in Almond Burial rites for the late Oswin Smith, veteran resident of Portage county, were held at St. Stephen's church this morning, Rev. James C. Hogan officiating. The remains were then taken via auto-hearse to Almond, where interment was made in St. Martin's cemetery. Casket bearers, all grandsons of the deceased, were John Dorsha, Earl Precourt, Kenneth Willett, Oswin Sovey, Henry Kollock and Ed. Baldwin.

Matthew N. Stapleton

Reprinted from the Stevens Point Daily Journal, Monday, June 16, 1941. Contributed by Jeanne Stanis.

Matthew N. Stapleton

Matthew N. Stapleton, age 85, an early day resident of Portage county and a well known lumberman in northern Wisconsin, died Saturday morning at his home in Milwaukee.

Mr. Stapleton was born and raised on a farm in the town of Stockton. He was a son of the late Mr. and Mrs. Patrick Stapleton. During his early life he was engaged in the lumber business and later located at Rhinelander where he lived for many years. He was a former mayor and postmaster at Rhinelander. He moved to Milwaukee several years ago.

Surviving are his wife, the former Alice Brady of Buena Vista, five children, Sister Matthew Marie Kowloon of Hong Kong, China, Sister M. Alice Elizabeth, Maryknoll convent, Maryknoll, New Jersey, Judge G. M. Stapleton of Sturgeon Bay, and Mary and Alice Stapleton of Milwaukee.

Funeral services were held this morning at 9:30 o'clock at the Gesu Catholic church in Milwaukee. The body was then taken to Rhinelander where burial will take place Tuesday morning.

Bridget Tohey Sullivan

Reprinted from the Stevens Point Daily Journal, Friday, November 12, 1897. Contributed by Jeanne Stanis.

Death of Mrs. Sullivan

The death of Mrs. Bridget Sullivan, mother of P. H. Sullivan a member of the board of supervisors, occurred at the family home in Lanark Thursday evening, and brief announcement of the fact was received in the city today. Mrs. Sullivan had been sick for some time and her son has been excused from the county board this week on account of her precarious condition. The members of the family who survive her are two sons and one daughter, P. H. and Daniel and Mrs. Edward Cooney, all of Lanark. A sister, Mrs. Nora Anderson, lives at 722 Water street in this city. Mrs. Sullivan was about 77 years of age. She had lived in the town of Lanark about thirty years, and was highly respected by all who knew her. The funeral will be held at 10 o'clock tomorrow.


Reprinted from the Stevens Point Gazette, Stevens Point, Wisconsin, Wednesday, November 17, 1897:

Pioneer Resident Dead

The death of Mrs. Bridget Sullivan, of Lanark, which occurred at 5:30 last Thursday evening, removes another of the pioneer residents of Portage county. Mrs. Sullivan had always enjoyed remarkable good health for one of her years, and was about as usual until Monday of last week. At half-past nine that evening she was stricken with paralysis, but remained conscious until midnight Tuesday, suffering little or no pain. Thereafter she sank into a comatose state, remaining in that condition until death severed the golden thread of life.

Bridget Tohey was born in County Cork, Ireland, 76 years ago, and came to this country with her husband, Jeremiah Sullivan, to whom she was married a short time before, 45 years ago. For a few years thereafter Mr. Sullivan was employed at railroad construction, working in the east, Ohio and Wisconsin, and about 40 years ago took up his residence in the town of Hull, this county, where he died some four years thereafter, leaving a widow and five children. Some twenty-nine years ago Mrs. Sullivan and children accompanied her brother-in-law, Patrick Leary, to Lanark, and both families had lived together ever since. Mrs. Sullivan had very many old time friends in Stevens Point, as well as in other parts of the county, all of whom knew her as a noble christian woman, a kind, devoted mother, and a worthy neighbor and citizen. Four children are left. They are: Ellen, the adopted daughter of Timothy Leary of Stockton; Patrick Sullivan, the chairman of the town of Lanark; Mrs. Edward Cooney and Daniel Sullivan, all of Lanark. She also leaves three sisters, Mrs. Jas. Barry, of Phillips, Mrs. Jas. Anderson, of this city, and Mrs. Patrick Leary, of Lanark, and two brothers, John Tohey, who lives near Tomah, and Patrick, of Nebraska.

The funeral took place from St. Patrick's church, Lanark, at 10 o'clock Saturday morning, Rev. E. P. Lorigan officiating. The pallbearers were Dennis Leahy, Jas. McTigue, Michael Lynch, Michael Riley, Peter Hanley and Theo. Meyers.

Mary Quinn Rellahan

Reprinted from the Stevens Point Daily Journal, Saturday, March 7, 1925. Contributed by Jeanne Stanis.

Mrs. Rellahan Dies

The death at St. Michael's hospital this morning of Mrs. Jeremiah Rellahan will be learned with deep sorrow by friends in nearly every part of Portage county. She passed away at 7:30 o'clock after an illness which extended over a period of two years.

The latter part of last July, Mrs. Rellahan underwent surgical operations at Rochester, Minn., remaining at a hospital in that city for a month. Her condition improved considerably during the fall and winter and she was able to perform many of her household duties until last Tuesday afternoon when she suffered a sinking spell and was taken to St. Michael's for treatment.

Diabetes and other complication had developed and she gradually lost strength during the next few days.

Mary Quinn Rellahan was a daughter of the late Mr. and Mrs. James Quinn, who were numbered among the earliest settlers in Portage county. Her birthplace was the town of Stockton, Sept. 6, 1864, but the first years of her life were spent in Lanark township where her father operated a farm. When Mary was ten years of age the family moved to Stevens Point and she lived here continuously until 1896 when she went to Berlin as housekeeper for her cousin, Rev. M. H. Clifford, at that time pastor of a Catholic church in that city. Two years later Miss Quinn became the wife of Jerry Rellahan and continued to reside at Berlin for the next three years. They then came to Stevens Point, where the husband now serves as conductor on the Green Bay branch line between this city and Plover.

There are two sons and a daughter in the family, John J. and Miss Margaret Rellahan of the local High school faculty, and William Rellahan, president of the High school Senior class.

Other immediate relatives are six brothers and a sister, Geo. A. Quinn of Stevens Point, Joseph M. of Marshfield, Edward of Detroit, Mich., Frank of Oshkosh, James of Seattle, Wash., Charles of Tulsa, Okla., and Mrs. Peter Fobert of Fort Wayne, Ind.

Mr. Quinn, Sr., died in 1919 and Mrs. Quinn followed her husband two years ago last Wednesday.

Until the receipt of telegraphic replies from relatives at a distance, no definite time can be set for the funeral, but its probable time is next Tuesday morning at 9 o'clock. Services will be held at St. Stephen's church, with interment in the cemetery belonging to that parish.


Reprinted from the Stevens Point Daily Journal, Stevens Point, Wisconsin, Monday, March 9, 1925:

Funeral at 10 o'clock

Burial services for the late Mrs. Jerry Rellahan, 214 Pine street, will be held at St. Stephen's church Tuesday morning at 10 o'clock. A requiem high mass will be offered up and the remains then conveyed to St. Stephen's cemetery for interment.


Reprinted from the Stevens Point Daily Journal, Stevens Point, Wisconsin, Tuesday, March 10, 1925:

Many at Rellahan Funeral

The highest honors the Catholic church can pay a deceased member was accorded the late Mrs. Jerry Rellahan this morning when requiem high mass was offered up at St. Stephen's. Rev. M. H. Clifford, a cousin of the deceased, was celebrant; his brother, Rev. George A. Clifford of Neenah, served as deacon, Rev. P. J. Skell as sub-deacon, and Rev. James C. Hogan, local pastor, as master of ceremonies. Hymns were sung by a choir of juvenile voices. The christian character of Mrs. Rellahan and her unselfish disposition formed the theme of a short discourse by Father Hogan.

The funeral was an especially large one, a long line of automobiles escorting the remains from the family home on Pine street, while friends to the number of several hundred attended the church services.

As the remains were being laid to rest in St. Stephen's cemetery, prayers were offered by Rev. Geo. A. Clifford.

All members of her family except brothers in Washington and Oklahoma, respectively, attended the last sad rites. Relatives who came from a distance included Joseph M. Quinn of Marshfield, Edward Quinn of Detroit, Mrs. Peter Fobert of Fort Wayne, Ind., Mrs. James F. Lawler and Mrs. W. E. Hearn of Fond du Lac, John Ryan and Miss Ella Ryan of Waupaca, Mr. and Mrs. Fred Quinn of Chicago, John Tovey of Fremont, Mrs. Thos. Doyle of Shawmut, Mont., Andrew Ryan of Abbotsford.

Matthew Ryan

Reprinted from the Stevens Point Daily Journal, Thursday, July 21, 1927. Contributed by Jeanne Stanis.


Veteran Employe of Soo Line Is Victim of Tragedy at Waukesha

Matt Ryan of this city, an employe of the bridges and building department of the Wisconsin Central and its successor, the Soo Line, for nearly forty years and who served as foreman on the Fond du Lac division for the past quarter century, was fatally hurt at Waukesha on Wednesday morning when he fell from a thirty-foot trestle across Newhall avenue and sustained a fractured skull, rendering him unconscious. His death occurred a few hours later, shortly after noon.

Mr. Ryan was directing a crew of workman who were repairing the structure. It is assumed that he experienced a sudden dizzy spell, as he has had similar attacks of late years.

Bring Body Here

The body will be brought to Stevens Point on train No. 5 at 3:10 o'clock this evening and taken to his home, 1117 Shaurette street.

Mrs. Ryan left here several days ago for St. Paul to visit Mrs. Joseph Coria and other friends in that city. It was difficult to get into communication with her because the street addresses of the people she was visiting were not known, but she was finally reached at about 4 o'clock yesterday and caught eastbound train No. 4, an hour or so later, going directly to Waukesha. At the local depot she was joined by one of Mr. Ryan's sisters, Mrs. Henry Reading, and the latter's daughter, Mrs. George Whitely, who accompanied her to Waukesha.

Badly Hurt Years Ago

While employed on bridge work at Ironwood, Mich., some 30 years ago, Mr. Ryan was badly hurt when he fell from a twelve-foot trestle. He alighted on his feet but was so shaken up that he had concussion of the brain and was in critical condition at an Ironwood hospital for a number of days. He was then removed to Stevens Point, where he was finally brought back to health and strength. The only ill effect he had since felt was a slight deafness.

59 Years of Age

Mr. Ryan was born on a farm near Jordan, town of Hull, 59 years ago last April 4. When he was under 20 years of age he began railroad work as a helper in the bridges and building department and followed this calling ever since. He was considered one of the most efficient foremen on the entire system. For several years he made his headquarters at Manitowoc, at which station and at nearby places the Soo did a large amount of construction work. His crew had only recently been transferred to Waukesha.

Just before Mrs. Ryan left for the visit at St. Paul, she had a premonition that she ought not to go, but finally passed it off as a sudden flight of fancy and started on the journey, expecting to spend about two weeks there.

Other Relatives

In December 1898, Mr. Ryan was married here to Miss Addie Scott, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Ellison G. Scott. Other close relatives of the deceased are three sisters and a brother, Mrs. Reading, Mrs. Peter E. Doyle and Miss Nellie Ryan of this city and James Ryan, section foreman for the Soo at Stone Lake. Another brother, Michael Ryan, died at Minneapolis within recent years.

The deceased was a member of Council No. 1170, Knights of Columbus.


Reprinted from the Stevens Point Daily Journal, Stevens Point, Wisconsin, Friday, July 22, 1927:


A blow under the arm by a "Snatch Hook" (?) as he was directing repairs on a trestle at Waukesha, which threw him to the ground 22 feet below was the direct cause of the death of Matt Ryan, foreman of bridges and buildings work for the Soo Line for many years. The incident happened at 11:50 o'clock Wednesday morning. He was placed in an automobile which had just stopped within a few feet of where Mr. Ryan landed on his head and shoulder and was rushed to a hospital, a drive of less than ten minutes but he died on the way. The right of his head was crushed and the right eye was partially removed from its socket.

The body was taken to an undertaker's and brought to Stevens Point on Soo train No. 5 last evening, accompanied by the widow, a sister, Mrs. Henry Reading; a niece, Mrs. Geo. Whitely, and Lawrence Lovely, engineer of the hoisting apparatus which Mr. Ryan used in his operations. The remains are now at the Ryan home, 1117 Shaurett street, from where they will be taken to St. Stephen's church for services at 10 o'clock Saturday morning. Mrs. Ryan's family, the Ellison G. Scotts, own a lot in Forest cemetery and the deceased will be laid at rest there.

Member of the local council, Knights of Columbus with which Mr. Ryan had been affiliated for a number of years, will meet at their hall on Strongs avenue at 7:45 this evening and proceed to the Ryan home, where prayers will be offered.


Reprinted from the Stevens Point Daily Journal, Stevens Point, Wisconsin, Saturday, July 23, 1927:

Many at Ryan Funeral

The large auditorium at St. Stephen's church was filled this morning with friends of the late Matt Ryan, Soo Line bridges and building foreman, who met a tragic death at Waukesha earlier this week when he was accidentally hurled from a high trestle. The services began at 10 o'clock, Rev. Geo. A. Casey officiating, and interment followed in Forest cemetery, where Rev. Geo. M. Weix consigned the body to earth. The pallbearers were Lawrence Lovely, James B. Sullivan, D. J. Leahy, A. J. Cunneen, Frank M. Glennon and John s. Loughlin, the latter a Soo official at Fond du Lac.

Among the large number who came from out of town to pay a last tribute of respect to the deceased were Mrs. T. W. North, Edgerton; Mr. and Mrs. David Degel, Dale; James Ryan, his brother, Stone Lake; Walter Combs, Federal Dam, Minn.; Mrs. R. G. Hanley, Chicago; Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Doyle, Custer; Mr. and Mrs. P. F. Higgins, Amherst Junction; G. A. Manthy, Portage; Mr. and Mrs. W. H. Hanson, Schiller Park, Ill.; Louis Cole, Waukesha; the Misses Lillian M. Rohag and Jessie M. Parrott, Merrill. Members of the crew which Mr. Ryan had directed for many years also came here from Waukesha.

Alice Clifford Smith

Reprinted from the Stevens Point Daily Journal, Monday, November 16, 1942. Contributed by Jeanne Stanis.

Mrs. W. R. Smith

Mrs. W. R. Smith, the former Alice Clifford, a member of a prominent Stevens Point family, died Sunday at her home at Seattle, Washington, following an illness of several months, according to word received by her sister, Mrs. John N. Peickert, Hotel Whiting.

Mrs. Smith was born in Stevens Point, a daughter of the late Mr. and Mrs. Michael Clifford. Her father was a well known early day local business man for many years. She attended the local schools and her marriage to Mr. Smith of Escanaba, Michigan, took place at St. Stephen's Catholic church 38 years ago. Following their marriage the couple located at Marinette, where Mr. Smith was in the lumber businesses. They moved to Seattle five years later and had lived there since. Mr. Smith was identified with the lumber industry in the west for a number of years and then entered the brokerage business.

Surviving are her husband, a daughter, Mrs. Ralph Connor, a son, Clifford Smith, and three grandchildren, all of Seattle, and three sisters, Mrs. Peickert of Stevens Point and Mrs. Blaine Bouldron and Miss Genevieve Clifford of Seattle. Mrs. Smith was a sister of the late Miss Margaret Clifford of Stevens Point, Rev. George Clifford of Menasha, Rev. Michael Clifford of Oshkosh and Ed Clifford of Racine.

Funeral services will be held Tuesday morning at 9:30 o'clock at Seattle.

James Stinson

Reprinted from the Stevens Point Daily Journal, Tuesday, December 15, 1931. Contributed by Jeanne Stanis.

James Stinson

James Stinson, aged 76, a pioneer resident of the town of Belmont, died at 11 o'clock Monday morning at the home of his brother, Edward Stinson, following a lingering illness. He had been in poor health the past few years.

Mr. Stinson was born in the village of Perry, New York, on April 1, 1855. His parents came to Wisconsin when he was a small child and they located in the town of Belmont, where Mr. Stinson continued to reside.

Funeral services will be held at 10 o'clock Wednesday morning at St. Patrick's church at Lanark and interment will take place in the adjoining cemetery.

Patrick Henry Stinson

Reprinted from the Stevens Point Daily Journal, Saturday, September 10, 1977. Contributed by Jeanne Stanis.

Patrick Stinson

Patrick Stinson, 84, Lakeview Manor Home, Weyauwega, died Friday afternoon at Riverside Memorial Hospital in Waupaca where he had been a patient for three days.

Funeral services will be held at 10 a.m. Monday at Jungers Funeral Chapel in Amherst with the Rev. Donald Walczak of St. Patrick's Catholic Church, Lanark, officiating. Burial will follow in St. Patrick's Cemetery.

Friends may call at Jungers Funeral Chapel after 9 a.m. Monday.

Mr. Stinson was born Sept. 27, 1893, in the town of Lanark, a son of Mr. and Mrs. Henry Stinson. He was a farmer and lived in Lanark most of his life.

He was preceded in death by his parents and one sister.

Donald (Pat) Riley

Reprinted from the Stevens Point Daily Journal, Wednesday, April 22, 1975. Contributed by Jeanne Stanis.

Donald (Pat) Riley

Donald (Pat) Riley, 53, a former Town of Lanark resident living in Waupaca, died Sunday at the Veterans Administration Hospital, Madison.

Funeral services will be held at 2:30 p.m. Wednesday at the Holly Funeral Home, Waupaca. Msgr. Edward Aucter, Waunakee, will officiate. Burial will be in the Wisconsin Veterans Memorial Cemetery, King.

Friends may call today at the funeral home.

Mr. Riley was born Jan. 31, 1922, in the Town of Lanark, a son of the late Mr. and Mrs. Patrick Riley. He enlisted in the United States Army on Aug. 20, 1945, in Milwaukee. He served in Europe during World War II and was a tech sergeant. He was discharged on Dec. 27, 1946, at Fort Sheridan, Ill.

Mr. Riley, who married Vivian Neuman on Oct. 20, 1947, moved to Waupaca and was an auctioneer.

Survivors include his wife and one brother, Jerome, Norco, Calif.

Sadie Riley

Reprinted from the Stevens Point Daily Journal, Tuesday, May 25, 1943. Contributed by Jeanne Stanis.

Miss Sadie Riley

Funeral services for Miss Sadie Riley, age 59, a teacher in the local school system for many years, who died Monday afternoon at St. Michael's hospital, will be held Thursday morning at 10 o'clock at St. Stephen's Catholic church. Burial will follow in the parish cemetery. The body is at the Rosenow funeral home where the rosary will be said Wednesday evening at 8 o'clock.

Miss Riley, whose death occurred at 1:15 p.m. Friday (sic), had been ailing since the first of the year and entered the hospital on April 3, undergoing a major operation two weeks later. Her condition was serious all of the time. Her home is at 1302 Clark street.

A member of a pioneer Portage county family, Miss Riley was born on April 5, 1884, in Lanark, a daughter of the late Ella and Thomas Riley, who located in Stevens Point in 1908. She attended the rural schools in Lanark and after completing a course at the Stevens Point Normal, the present Central State Teachers college, she taught in rural schools and at Amherst, Almond and Princeton, before returning to Stevens Point in 1919 to teach in the grades. She was the opportunity room teacher at the Jefferson school for several years before becoming visiting teacher to high school and grade students who could not attend school. She was also a part time truant officer for a time.

Miss Riley was a member of Court Jerem No. 1031, Catholic Daughters of America, the local unit of the American Legion Auxiliary and the Royal Neighbors. Members of the Catholic Daughters will form a guard of honor at the church for the funeral and the Auxiliary will meet Wednesday night at 7:30 o'clock at the funeral home to pay their respect to her memory.

Surviving are four sisters, Mrs. Charles Brady of Bancroft, Mrs. A. G. Weaver of Minneola, Florida, Mrs. Edward Hinchberger of Lisbon, North Dakota, and Miss Bernice Riley of Fond du Lac. Preceding her in death were her mother in May, 1918, her father in April, 1934, a brother, John L. Riley, in March, 1929, and a sister, Lulu, in December, 1920.


Reprinted from the Stevens Point Daily Journal, Stevens Point, Wisconsin, Friday, May 28, 1943:

Funeral of Miss Riley

Rev. John R. McGinley officiated at funeral services Thursday morning for Miss Sadie Riley, local school teacher for many years, who died Monday afternoon. A requiem mass was sung at 10 o'clock at St. Stephen's Catholic church. During the services Miss Lucy Doyle, accompanied by Mrs. Herman H. Menzel, sang "Just For Today" and "Sweet Savior Bless Us Ere We Go."

The pallbearers were Paul M. Vincent, Allen G. Bostad, Ed Knope, Herman B. Vetter, Henry H. Strong and Leo Gullikson.

Relatives and friends from a distance who were here were Mrs. A. G. Weaver of Minneola, Florida, Mrs. Edward Hinchberger of Lisbon, North Dakota, Miss Bernice Riley of Fond du Lac, Mr. and Mrs. Frank Heaney and George Heaney and Miss Anna Martin of Poysippi, Mrs. A. M. Christopherson of Waupaca and Miss Frances Salisbury, Miss Lillian Thrall, Miss Vivian Gamble, Mrs. Leo Jagdfeld and Mrs. W. A. Sanders of Fond du Lac.

Emanuel C. (Leonard) Schultz

Reprinted from the Stevens Point Daily Journal, Tuesday, September 21, 1976. Contributed by Jeanne Stanis.

Emanuel C. (Leonard) Schultz

Emanuel C. (Leonard) Schultz, 74, 2501 Nebel St., died Monday afternoon at St. Michael's Hospital, where he had been taken after suffering an apparent heart attack earlier in the day.

Funeral services will be held at 10 a.m. Friday at St. Stephen's Catholic Church. The Rev. Thomas Mullen will officiate. Burial will be in McDill Cemetery.

Mr. Schultz was born Sept. 25, 1901 in Shelbyville, Ind., a son of the late Mr. and Mrs. Robert Schultz. When he was a young man he moved to the Rhinelander area and ran trap lines.

His marriage was to Melvina Cooper in 1932 in Glasgow, Mont.

Mr. Schultz lived in various places while working as an electrical welder in heavy construction. During World War II he was a welding instructor in a navy year in Bremerton, Wash.

He and his wife moved to Stevens Point and he helped his father-in-law operated Cooper's Corner's Bar. In 1952 he moved to Milwaukee and worked as an electrical welder at A. O. Smith Corp. until retiring in 1962 due to injuries received working. He returned to Stevens Point in 1963.

Survivors include his wife, one son, Robert, Germantown; two daughters, Mrs. David (Betty Anne) Green, Spring Cove, Fla. and Mrs. Ronald (Donna Jean) VanRyzin, Grafton; one sister, Mrs. Anna Walker, National City, Calif.; and nine grandchildren.

Two brothers and two sisters preceded him in death.

Mr. Schultz belonged to the Smith Steel Workers-Federal Labor Union 19806, AFL-CIO.

Frank D. Shea

Reprinted from the Stevens Point Daily Journal, Saturday, April 6, 1946. Contributed by Jeanne Stanis.

Frank D. Shea

Frank D. Shea of Butte, Mont., a native of Stevens Point, died Tuesday in a Butte hospital, his sister, Mrs. Edward S. Esker, 802 Main street, was informed. He had been ill and a hospital patient for only a short time.

Mr. Shea was a son of Thomas D. and Elizabeth Shea, pioneer residents of Stevens Point. He attended local schools and then worked in northern Wisconsin as manager of the John Ross Lumber company store at Arbor Vitate. Later he went to Alaska and after returning to the states located in Montana. For a number of years he owned and operated a ranch near Hamilton until his retirement 10 years ago when he sold his property. He had since lived at Butte. His last visit to Stevens Point was 17 years ago. Mrs. Esker is his only survivor. Mr. Shea had never married.

Funeral services and burial were held at Butte.

Leo J. Stankowski

Reprinted from the Stevens Point Daily Journal, Tuesday, February 13, 1912. Contributed by Jeanne Stanis.


Well known Photographer Victim of Typhoid Fever

L. J. Stankowski passed away at his home, 414 Portage street, at 7:20 Monday evening, after a short illness with typhoid fever and heart trouble. He was taken sick on February 2, and gradually grew worse until the end.

Leo J. Stankowski was born in Prussian-Germany in 1877, and removed to this country with his parents when about one year of age. The family located in the town of Alban, where the father still resides. When about sixteen years of age he went west, engaged in the photograph business, and remained there until about five years ago, when he located at Polonia, where he opened a photograph gallery. Four years ago he removed to this city and opened gallery, and also operated a post card photo gallery on North Third street. On March 21, 1907, he was married to Miss Stacia Konopacki at Polonia and she with three small children, Kate, Sophia and Victor, are left to mourn his loss. He also leaves his father and two brothers and one sister, Anton of Wausau, John, who lives at his home in Alban, and Mrs. Bender of Grand Rapids. He also has three half brothers and a half sister, Joe, Frank, Alex and Clara.

Mr. Stankowski was an excellent photographer and was building up a big business.

Owing to the serious illness of Mrs. Stankowski, who is suffering from typhoid fever, his death has not been made known to her. One of their children is also quite sick.

The funeral will be held at 9 o'clock Thursday morning from St. Peter's church Rev. S. A. Elbert officiating.

Patrick Stinson

Reprinted from the Stevens Point Daily Journal, Wednesday, May 28, 1913. Contributed by Jeanne Stanis.


Patrick Stinson of Waupaca, formerly of This County, Receives Fatal Stroke of Paralysis.

Patrick Stinson, who for many years was a resident of the town of Belmont and also lived for a time in this city, passed away at his home in Waupaca at 10:15 o'clock Monday forenoon, aged about 84 years, the result of a stroke of paralysis, which he received last Thursday afternoon. Mr. Stinson had not been feeling well for some time, due to his advanced age, but was able to be about and ate an unusually hearty dinner Thursday. During the afternoon he told his wife he was not feeling well and would go to his room and lie down. At about 5 o'clock Mrs. Stinson was attracted by an unusual sound coming from her husband's room, and going to him was shocked to find that he was unable to speak and that his entire right side had been paralyzed. Medical help was summoned at once and members of the family called, including his son, E. D. Stinson, who was serving on the circuit court jury in this city, but the venerable gentleman gradually failed and passed away at the time above stated.

Patrick Stinson was a native of Ireland, and came to this country when fourteen years of age. Portage county had been his home the greater part of his life, and he was one of the best known farmers in the southeast part of the county. During the war he served in Co. I, 18th Wis. Infantry, and was a brave and gallant soldier. He retired from his farm ten or twelve years ago, since which time he had resided at Waupaca, where, as well as elsewhere, he was universally respected. Besides his widow he leaves four children by a former marriage, E. D. Stinson and Mrs. Moses Leary of Belmont, Henry Stinson of Lanark and Mrs. Fannie Timbers of Eau Claire.

The funeral was held from the Catholic church in Lanark at 10 o'clock this forenoon, Rev. J. E. Meagher officiating, with interment in the adjoining cemetery.

Jeremiah Rellahan

Reprinted from the Stevens Point Daily Journal, Monday July 31, 1944. Contributed by Jeanne Stanis.

Jeremiah Rellahan

Jeremiah Rellahan, age 76, a retired Green Bay and Western railroad conductor, died Sunday night at 7:55 o'clock at St. Michael's hospital. He became ill the latter part of April and was a hospital patient since with the exception of two weeks. Mr. Rellahan suffered from a heart ailment and pneumonia developed Saturday. His home is at 214 Pine street.

A son, William J. Rellahan, of Dallas, Tex., arrived Friday and a daughter, Mrs. Harry H. Merrill of Niagara, came Sunday and were with him at the time of his death. Another son, John J. Rellahan, is en route from his home at Montclair, N. J.

Mr. Rellahan was born on July 25, 1868, at Berlin, a son of the late John and Mary Rellahan. He spent his early life at Berlin where at the age of 17 he began his railroad career. At that time he entered the employ of the St. Paul railroad. He was married at Berlin on November 17, 1897, to Miss Mary Quinn, a member of an early day Stevens Point family. The couple lived at Berlin until 1902 when they located at Stevens Point. Mrs. Rellahan died on March 7, 1925. Mr. Rellahan was employed by the John Week Lumber company from 1902 to 1912 when he started work for the Green Bay and Western road as a brakeman. He was promoted to conductor in 1914 and continued in that capacity until his retirement in 1937.

On June 16, 1926, he married Mrs. Bessie Mohr, who survives.

Besides the three surviving children, there were two children who died in infancy, Anna Lucille and James Francis. There are seven grandchildren.

Mr. Rellahan was president of the Catholic Knights of Wisconsin at the time of his death and he was a member of the Men's Catholic Order of Foresters and the Holy Name society of St. Stephen's Catholic church.

Funeral services will be held Wednesday morning at 9 o'clock at St. Stephen's Catholic church and burial will follow in the parish cemetery. The body is at the Crosby funeral home where the rosary will be said Tuesday evening at 8 o'clock.


Reprinted from the Stevens Point Daily Journal, Stevens Point, Wisconsin, Wednesday, August 3, 1944:

Funeral of Mr. Rellahan

Funeral services for Jeremiah Rellahan, 214 Pine street, a resident of Stevens Point for more than 40 years, who died Sunday evening, were Held Wednesday morning. Rev. John R. McGinley officiated at a requiem high mass at 9 o'clock at St. Stephen's Catholic church and burial followed in the parish cemetery. Servers at the mass were his grandson, William Merrill of Niagara, and William Snow, David Van Hecke and David Varney.

The pallbearers were Bernard McAulliffe, Judge Byron J. Carpenter, Harry J. Levi, Joseph Hart, Mason J. O'Brien and Frank Kelly.

Those who came from out of town included his sons and daughter-in-law, John J. Rellahan of Montclair, N. J., and Mrs. and Mrs. William J. Rellahan and two daughters, Linda Margaret and Patricia Joan, of Dallas, Tex.; his son-in-law and daughter, Mr. and Mrs. Harry H. Merrill and two sons, William and Jerry, of Niagara; Sergeant Harold Mohr of Camp Chaffee, Ark.' Miss Elizabeth O'Leary of Minocqua; Mrs. Joseph Quinn of Marshfield and Mr. and Mrs. William Quinn of Neenah.

John Joseph Rellahan

Reprinted from the Stevens Point Journal, Tuesday, August 6, 1985. Contributed by Jeanne Stanis.

John J. Rellahan

John J. Rellahan, 86, Melbourne, Fla., a Stevens Point native and former teacher here, died Monday in Melbourne.

Mr. Rellahan was the son of the late Mr. and Mrs. Jerry Rellahan of Stevens Point. He grew up here, graduating from Stevens Point High School, and received a bachelor's and master's degrees and a doctorate from the University of Wisconsin-Madison.

He was a member of Phi Beta Kappa honor fraternity.

He began his teaching career at Stevens Point High School and then taught two years at what is now the University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point.

Later he was on the faculty of the University of North Dakota at Grand Forks, and completed his teaching career at Montclair State College, Montclair, N. J.

His first wife, whom he married at St. Stephen's Catholic Church here, was Jessie Raymond, also a teacher at Stevens Point High School. She preceded him in death.

Surviving are his second wife, Edna; a daughter, Mary Kate Heffern, in New Jersey; a son, William, Honolulu, Hawaii; and a sister, Mrs. Harry (Margaret) Merrill, Marinette.

Funeral services and burial will be in Montclair, N. J. Other arrangements are pending.

William J. Rellahan

Reprinted from the Stevens Point Daily Journal, Monday, March 31, 1980. Contributed by Jeanne Stanis.

William J. Rellahan

William J. Rellahan, 74, Dallas, Tex., a native of Stevens Point, died Friday at a Dallas hospital.

Mr. Rellahan was the son of the late Mr. and Mrs. Jerry Rellahan. He was graduated from Stevens Point High School and St. Thomas college, St. Paul, Minn., cum laude. He was employed by Hardware Mutuals Insurance Company, now Sentry Insurance, for many years in Stevens Point, prior to being transferred to Dallas. He later joined General Adjustment Bureau in Dallas, with which he was associated until his retirement.

His wife, the former Bernice Hanson, also a Stevens Point resident, died in Dallas in February 1979. She was a sister of Gordon Hanson, 1956 Plover St.

Surviving are two daughters, Mrs. Joe (Linda) Spurlock and Mrs. John (Patricia) Hoelzel, both of the Dallas area; six grandchildren; a brother, John Rellahan, Melbourne, Fla.; and a sister, Mrs. Harry (Margaret) Merrill, Marinette.

Funeral services and burial will be held in Dallas Tuesday.

Estella Carpenter Reader

Reprinted from the Stevens Point Daily Journal, Wednesday, March 29, 1933. Contributed by Jeanne Stanis.

Mrs. Frank M. Reader

Mrs. Frank M. Reader of Almond, a lifelong resident of Portage county who had lived at Almond the past 25 years, died at 2:30 o'clock Tuesday afternoon at St. Michael's hospital. She entered the hospital last Thursday, in serious condition. She had been in ill health the past two months.

Mrs. Reader, whose maiden name was Estella Eleysia Carpenter, was born in the town of Buena Vista on January 31, 1885. Her parents were Mr. and Mrs. E. L. Carpenter. Mrs. Reader attended the Almond High school and then taught in rural schools of Portage county until her marriage to Mr. Reader. Following their marriage, which took place on April 5, 1906, Mr. and Mrs. Reader made their home on a farm in the town of Almond, moving from there to Almond village 25 years ago. Mr. Reader has been in the hardware and implement business in Almond for many years.

A member of the Almond M. E. church, Mrs. Reader was an active member of the Ladies' Aid society of that church. She also held membership in the Eastern Star and Rebekah lodges.

Besides her husband she leaves four sons, Edwin, Wayne, Glen and Laurin, at home; a sister, Mrs. G. C. Springer of Stevens Point, and a brother, O. E. Carpenter of Almond.

Funeral services will be held Thursday afternoon at 1:30 o'clock at the Reader home and at 2 o'clock at the M. E. church. Rev. C. A. Tuttle will conduct the services and burial will take place in the Almond cemetery.


Reprinted from the Stevens Point Daily Journal, Stevens Point, Wisconsin, Friday, March 31, 1933:

Funeral of Mrs. Reader

The English M. E. church at Almond was filled and many persons remained outside in cars and on the church lawn when funeral services were held Thursday afternoon for Mrs. Frank M. Reader, a resident of Almond for many years, who died Tuesday. Rev. C. A. Tuttle, pastor of the church, conducted the services and a prayer was offered by Rev. M. B. Leisman, pastor of the Emmanuel M. E. church at Almond. The church rites followed a prayer service held at the Reader home at 1:30 o'clock.

Three hymns, "The Old Rugged Cross," "In the Garden" and "Beautiful Isle of Somewhere," were sung by a quartet composed of Mrs. Frank Sheldon, Mrs. Elmer Kerat, Frank S. Putz and Henry F. Karnopp. Miss Angie Sheldon accompanied them.

Pallbearers were O. A. Crowell, E. G. Crowell, B. J. Walker, Fred B. Young, Louis Prochnow and Otto H. Prochnow, Mrs. Otto Prochnow, Mrs. Glen Johnson, Mrs. George Crowell, Mrs. J. P. Helbach, Mrs. J. R. Walter and Mrs. Homer L. Hicks were in charge of flowers.

Interment took place in the Reader family lot in the Almond cemetery, with members of the Eastern Star in charge of the ceremonies at the grave.

Relatives and friends present included Mr. and Mrs. G. C. Springer, brother-in-law and sister of Mrs. Reader, Mr. and Mrs. Selden F. McCreedy, Mr. and Mrs. Harold F. Gates, Mr. and Mrs. Walter B. Springer, Mr. and Mrs. Allen Leahy, Mr. and Mrs. George Turrish and son, James, Mrs. Minnie Bennett, Mr. and Mrs. Frank Poust, Mrs. Leonard Whitman, Mrs. Thomas Brown, Mrs. Earl Newby and Misses Crystal and Fern Springer of Stevens Point; Mr. and Mrs. E. C. McCormick of Princeton; Mr. and Mrs. Mick Theis of Amherst Junction; Mrs. Roy Diver and Mrs. Duncan Baker of Plainfield' Mr. and Mrs. Michael O'Keefs and Mr. and Mrs. Arthur L. Raymond of Arnott and a large number of friends from Buena Vista and the surrounding country.

A. E. Redfield

Reprinted from the Stevens Point Daily Journal, Friday, November 28, 1947. Contributed by Mary Moss.

Ex-Postmaster A.E. Redfield Taken by Death

Long time republican Leader here; Rites Held this Morning

A.E. Redfield, 80, a retired Stevens Point postmaster and long a leader in local politics, died Wednesday evening at 8:15 o'clock at his home at 411 Dixon Street. He was confined to bed most of the time during an illness of six weeks.

Mr. Redfield who had made Stevens Point his home all of his life, served as postmaster from 1921-1934, when he retired. During his youth he was employed as a car builder in the shops of the old Wisconsin Central railroad for a few years and then completed a business course at a Milwaukee business college, after which he taught commercial work at Wausau for three years.

Former Law Offices Manager

Mr. Redfield then returned to Stevens Point and for many years was employed in the offices of local law firms, being identified with the firm now known as Fisher, Reinholdt, and Peickert for more than 20 years during which time he served as office manager.

For a time Mr. Redfield operated a dairy farm where he specialized in registered cattle. He was also proprietor of the former Stevens Point Sand and Gravel Company and at one time owned a string of race horses.

For many years, a Republican Party leader here, Mr. Redfield served as chairman of the Portage County Republican Committee. He was president of the former Stevens Point Athletic Club and was active and served as an officer of the early day Stevens Point Fair Association.

Mr. Redfield was born in Stevens Point on August 24, 1867 a son of the late A. B. and Phoebe Redfield. He married Miss Theresa Donermeyer in 1900.

Surviving are his wife; seven sons, R.E. Redfield of San Diego; John A. of Fresno California; Ben of Whiting; Charles E. of Stevens Point; Otis in Manila; Robert of Evanston Illinois; and William of Blacksburg Virginia; a brother Charles of Orlando Florida and six grandchildren. A son Willis preceded him in death.

Services this morning

Funeral services were held this morning at 10:00 o'clock at St. Joseph's Catholic Church and burial will take place in the spring in the parish cemetery. Rev. John R. McGinley officiated. The rosary was said Thursday evening at 8 o'clock at the Crosby Funeral Home. Pallbearers were Richard McInnis, Carl F. Sturm, James G. Vennie, Fred Francis, R. C. Moss, and Frank Abb. During the services Ray J. Weiss sang Schubert's "Ave Maria". He was accompanied by Miss Barbara Van Hecke. Mr. and Mrs. John A. Redfield of Fresno, and Robert Redfield of Evanston were here for the funeral.

A. F. (Frank) Redfield

Reprinted from the Stevens Point Weekly Journal, Saturday, February 7, 1891. Contributed by Mary Moss.

Death of A.F. Redfield

The death of A.F. Redfield occurred at his home on Division Street at a little before 12 o'clock last Thursday forenoon. His fatal illness commenced a week ago last Tuesday night. He attended a meeting of the Masonic Lodge and upon returning home was taken with a severe chill. From then until his death he was delirious the most of the time; although his condition was not regarded as critical until Wednesday afternoon. At that time Dr. Russell of Oshkosh was summoned by telegraph for consultation with Dr. Southwick, the attending physician. Dr. Russell arrived here Thursday morning. In the meantime Frank had been growing worse, and when the consultation was held, the conclusion was reached that his life could be prolonged but a few hours at the farthest. The cause of death was pronounced meningitis, or inflammation of the brain.

A. F. Redfield, or "Frank" as he was generally called by his acquaintances, was the oldest child of Mr. And Mrs. A.B. Redfield and was born in this city on April 1, 1856. When sixteen years of age, he entered the employ of the Wisconsin Central railroad company, and with the exception of one summer spent at Terre Haute Indiana where he superintended the construction of railroad cars for the Sault Ste Marie road, he had been in the employ of the company ever since. September 15, 1880 he was united in marriage to Miss Mary Houston. To them two boys have been born, aged 7 and 1 year respectively. Besides these, and his father and mother, the other immediate relatives who survive him are two sister and three brothers. The sisters are Mrs. A.F. Wyatt and Miss Nellie. The brothers are John Henry who is now at Spokane Falls, Alfred E. who is teaching phonography and typesetting at Merrill, and Charlie who is still at home.

Frank Redfield was one of our Stevens Point boys, and had a wide circle of acquaintances, by all of whom his early death is sincerely mourned. At the time of his death he was the foreman of the woodworking department of the Wisconsin Central railroad car shops at this place, a position he had worked up to from the lowest round on the ladder, and which he had most acceptably filled for a number of years. His ability to direct the labor of others, as well as his integrity and faithfulness to duty was also recognized and appreciated by other railroad companies, and he had declined a number of offers to engage with other roads. For a number of years he represented the third ward in the common council and for the past three years he had been a member of the Board of Education, and was twice chosen treasurer of the Board. In politics he was an ardent Republican and for years had taken active interest in the affairs of the party. Whatever duty he undertook in any of the walks of life was discharged with good judgment and conscientiousness and fidelity that commanded for him the respect and confidence of all. His intelligence and skill as a mechanic commanded good wages. This not only enabled him to provide a pleasant home for his wife and little ones but to lay aside something every year against the time of need, if such a time should ever come. This he did partly in investments and partly in life insurance; and now he is so unexpectedly called away his family is well provided for. In the death of A.F. Redfield, the community has lost a most excellent citizen, but we take pleasure in pointing to his life as one that can be profitably emulated by the young men who desire to travel the path that leads to up-building of pleasant homes and good citizens.

The funeral will be held from the family residence on Division Street, Sunday afternoon at 2 o'clock and will be conducted by Revs. Rankin and Carr and the Masonic Fraternity of which the deceased was an honored member.

Amilison Redfield

Reprinted from the Stevens Point Weekly Journal, Saturday, October 12, 1878. Contributed by Mary Moss.

Death of an Aged Lady

Mrs. Amilison Redfield, relict of Asahel Redfield, died at the house of one of her sons in Waupaca, last Saturday. Mrs. Redfield was born in Bainbridge, Chenango county New York on February 7, 1797 and consequently at the time of her death was 81 years, 7 months and 27 days. She came to this state in 1853, and for the last twenty years and more has made it her home with her sons John, and A.B. (Arthur Benjamin)Redfield of this city, though usually making a visit of two to three months each year with J.S.(Jared) and J.C. (Joel) Redfield, two other sons who reside at Waupaca.

About three months ago, she went to live with J.S. at Waupaca, and was there when summoned to the other side. Mrs. Redfield was the mother of twelve children, eight of whom survive to mourn her loss.

In the passing away of this venerable lady, the Presbyterian church of which she has been a member for upwards of sixty years has lost one of its most worthy communicants and all who knew her, the example of a consistent, Christian life.

Arthur B. Redfield

Reprinted from the Stevens Point Daily Journal, Monday, July 24, 1911. Contributed by Mary Moss.

Death of A.B. Redfield

Had Been a Rrespected Resident of This City for 58 years

The death of A. B. Redfield, which occurred at his home 916 division Street at 7:45 o'clock Saturday evening July 22nd, marks the passing of another of the early residents of Stevens Point and a veteran of the Civil war. Arthur B. Redfield was born at Bainbridge, New York November 3, 1830 and therefore had attained the advanced age of nearly 81 years. With the exception of a few years spent at Jordan, where he taught school for a time and alter had charge of the Wadleigh and walker saw mill, he had resided in Stevens Point since 1853. On March 28, 1855 he was married to Miss Phoebe Otis. The latter was also a teacher and taught in a school that was maintained at what is now the Jacob Patch homestead. Mr. Redfield was among the early postal railway clerks on the Wisconsin Central. This position he held for man6y years and up to President Cleveland's administration. At that time the postal railway service was not in the civil service classified list and Mr. Redfield being an active Republican, had to give way to a member of the opposite party. After retiring from this service he engaged in the grocery business in which he continued until declining health compelled him to retire. His health had been quite poor for the past four years, during which time he suffered from dropsy and health problems. He had been failing quite rapidly during the past four weeks, and although he had been able to be up and about the house most of the time, the last long sleep into which he quietly passed at the hour above stated was not unexpected. He was the last of a family of five sons and two daughters.

Mr. and Mrs. Redfield who celebrated their golden wedding on March 28, 1905, were the parents were the parents of five sons and two daughters. He is survived by Mrs. Redfield and three sons and two daughters. The latter are Mrs. A.F. Wyatt of this city and John of Burley Idaho, Mrs. O. Ostrander who has been living at home and assisting her mother for several months, Alfred E. of this city, and Charles E. of St. Louis. All are now here except John who was expected to arrive on Monday. Two sons, Martin age six years old died in 1863 and Frank age 35 years died in 1891.

September 3, 1864, Mr. Redfield enlisted in Co. D., Fifth Wisconsin infantry, which was serving in the Army of the Potomac. During his enlistment he served in the commissary department and was mustered out with the regiment at the close of the war.

The death of Mr. Redfield marks the passing of a kind husband and father, a good neighbor and an intelligent and honorable citizen.

The funeral will be held from the house at 2 o'clock tomorrow afternoon.


Reprinted from the Stevens Point Daily Journal, Stevens Point, Wisconsin, Tuesday, July 25, 1911:

The funeral of A.B. Redfield was held from the family residence 916 division Street at 2 o'clock Tuesday afternoon. The services were conducted by Rev. W.H. Fuller of the Baptist Church, interment following in Forest Cemetery. The pallbearers were S.W. Andrews, E.M. Copps, H.O. Halverson, E. McGlachlan, Wm. Reading, and J.B. Sawtelle.

The hymns "Nearer My God to Thee", Asleep in Jesus", and Abide with Me" were sung by W.B. Buckingham, W. J. Shumway, Mable Ennor, and Rosetta Johnson.

Asahel Redfield

Reprinted from the Oshkosh Weekly Courier, Friday, December 17, 1858. Contributed by Mary Moss.

Sudden Death - The Menasha conservator of Saturday last, records the death of Mr. Asahel Redfield aged seventy six years, father of Joel C. Redfield of that place. He was found dead in his bed on Tuesday morning, the 7th inst. Mr. Redfield was about town all day on Monday and came into the house about 8 o'clock in the evening and retired in apparently as good health as usual.

John H. Redfield

Reprinted from the Stevens Point Daily Journal, Monday, November 20, 1911. Contributed by Mary Moss.

Dies after Short Illness

John H. Redfield Passes Away on His Ranch in Idaho

The relatives and friends of John H. Redfield were greatly shocked Sunday afternoon to learn of his sudden death, which occurred at 2:30 o'clock in the afternoon at Burley, Idaho. The first that was known of his illness came on Sunday morning when A. F. Wyatt received two messages: one stating that John was seriously ill and the other stating that he had lost consciousness and that all hope for his recover had been abandoned. He was taken ill only four days previous with a malignant typhoid fever at his home on his ranch at Burley. Mr. Redfield moved west three years ago when he purchased the ranch formerly owned by J. J. Tardiff, formerly of this city and had operated the same doing carpenter work as a sideline. His nephew Frank Redfield had been with him for about a year and was with him when the end came. As soon as Mrs. A. B. Redfield, who had been visiting with her son Charles in St. Louis had been notified of her son's illness, she and Charles left for the west , but arrived too late to see him alive.

John H. Redfield was born in this city February 1865 and has made it his home practically ever since, up to three years ago when he went west. He was a carpenter by trade and for a number of years was employed by the Wisconsin Central in their shops here. Later he was associated with his brother Charles E. in the plumbing business. He was a member of the Forest chapter A. F. and A. M. of this city.

Besides his mother, he leaves two sisters and two brothers. Mrs. A. F. Wyatt; Mrs. O. Ostrander; Alfred E of this city; and Charles E. of St. Louis. He visited in this city in July, coming here to attend the funeral of his father.

The deceased was a model young citizen and had the highest respect and confidence of all who knew him and all will join with the bereaved family in their sorrow.

The funeral arrangements cannot be announced at this time though the body will be shipped here for interment.


Reprinted from the Stevens Point Daily Journal, Stevens Point, Wisconsin, Saturday, November 25, 1911:

Further Particulars

At the time of the announcement of the death of John Redfield, it was stated that he passed away on his ranch at Burley Idaho. It has since been learned that he had been engaged at his trade in Burley up to Monday, the 13 th when he began to feel badly and did not return to his work and on Friday was confined to his bed with typhoid pneumonia. He was given the very best of care, but the disease had obtained such as start that the doctors in attendance were unable to relive his condition. Besides his mother, Mrs. A. B. Redfield, and brother Charles, the remains were accompanied by his nephew Frank Redfield who is connected with the government reclamation service with the headquarters at Burley.

Funeral of John H. Redfield

Funeral of John H. Redfield was held this afternoon at 2:30 from the home of his mother, Mrs. A. B. Redfield on Division Street. Rev. Fuller conducted the services at the house and the Masonic fraternity, of which the deceased was a member, had charge of the funeral at the grave. The pallbearers were E. L. Martin, Charles McCreedy, E. H. Joy, Ben Ellenwood, H. Welty, and Rev. J. A. Stemen.

Mary Houston Redfield

Reprinted from the Stevens Point Daily Journal, Friday, February 3, 1939. Contributed by Mary Moss.

Funeral Services for Mrs. Mary Redfield, 80, a lifelong resident of Stevens Point, who died suddenly Thursday noon at the Portage County Home, will be held Monday afternoon at 2 o'clock at the Boston Funeral Home. The Rev. Bertram L. Davies will officiate and the body will be placed in a receiving vault to await burial in the spring in Forest cemetery. The body is at the funeral home.

Mrs. Redfield, who has been up and about until her death, complained of not feeling well shortly before noon Thursday to a nurse at the home, who was talking with her in Mrs. Redfield's room. The nurse offered to bring lunch to her room, but Mrs. Redfield preferred going to the dining room. The nurse left her in her room and when Mrs. Redfield did not appear for her meal the nurse went to her room and found she had passed away.

A daughter of the late Frank R. and Mary Houston, Mrs. Redfield was born on April 3, 1858, and had spent her entire life in Stevens Point. She attended the old White school. Her marriage to Frank Redfield took place on September 15, 1880. Mr. Redfield, superintendent of the Wisconsin Central railroad shops, died in 1892.

Surviving her are two sons Arthur R. Redfield, 715 Wyatt Avenue and Frank O. Redfield of Burley Idaho; nine grandchildren and five great grandchildren.

Mary J. Sargent Redfield

Reprinted from the Stevens Point Daily Journal, Thursday, October 22, 1925. Contributed by Mary Moss.

Mrs. Mary Redfield, Dead, Resident of city for 68 years

A true pioneer of the Wisconsin River Valley passed from life at 8 o'clock Wednesday evening when Mrs. Mary J. Redfield, widow of John H. Redfield died a the home of her oldest daughter, Mrs. E. C. Beedle. 334 Central Avenue. Death resulted from a general breakdown of the system, her decline being more noticeable since early summer. However, she was able to be up and about the house until three weeks ago and her mental faculties remained acute to the last.

Mary J. Sargent was born at Rochester, Ill., 88 years ago the 18th of last February but she was only a small child when the family moved to Wiota, Lafayette county, a hamlet 12 miles south of Darlington and that was her home until her marriage to Mr. Redfield on November 2, 1857. Almost immediately afterwards, the young couple came north to Stevens Point and now the deceased had lived here continuously for 68 years. Mr. Redfield engaged in the lumber business and for a long time was a heavy operator in the vicinity of Knowlton. The family home during most of this period was in the 700 block on Church Street.

Four children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Redfield, a son dying many years ago. The survivors are Mrs. Beedle, and Mrs. J.V. Bakens of this city, and Mrs. C.C. Johnson of great Falls Montana. The latter spent several weeks with local relatives in the early fall. Mrs. Redfield also leaves one brother, Ransom Sargent of California.

Following the death of her husband on February 27 th 1904, the now deceased had lived with her children much of the time and the past seven years was a member of the Beedle household. Mrs. Redfield had the unusual distinction of being a great-great grandmother and among the prized possessions of her near relatives are group pictures of the five generations. Funeral services conducted by Rev. James Blake are announced for Saturday afternoon at 2 o'clock at the Beedle residence. Internment will follow beside her husband in Forest cemetery.


Reprinted from the Stevens Point Daily Journal, Stevens Point, Wisconsin, Monday, October 26, 1925:

Pioneer Buried on Sunday

Mrs. Mary Redfield, one of Stevens Point's Pioneer residents, who passed away last week at the home of her oldest daughter, Mrs. Edgar Beedle, 334 Central Avenue, was buried Sunday afternoon. Rev. James Blake conducted services at the Beedle residence at 2 o'clock, after which the remains were laid to rest in Forest Cemetery. The casket bearers were John and Lowell Beedle, Harold Bright. C. Winkler, Raymond Redfield, and Arthur R. Redfield.

Mrs. C.C. Johnson, the deceased youngest daughter, came from Great Falls Montana.

Phoebe Otis Redfield

Reprinted from the Stevens Point Daily Journal, Saturday, February 2, 1924. Contributed by Mary Moss.

Oldest continuous Resident Expires

Pneumonia Fatal to Mrs. Phoebe Redfield, Mother of Local Postmaster

Phoebe Redfield, widow of the late A. B. Redfield and the last of the charter members of the First Baptist church died Friday afternoon (February 1) at 4 o'clock at the home of her son, Postmaster Alfred E. Redfield 411 Dixon Street. She was in comparatively good health until Sunday when a severe cold developed into pneumonia and because of her advanced age she was unable to survive.

It is probable that the death of Mrs. Redfield removes the oldest continuous resident of Portage County, as she came here when a girl of 16 years and for 70 years had lived in this city or vicinity. Phoebe Otis, the maiden name of the deceased was born at Saranac, Clinton County New York August 27, 1837. In 1853 the family came to what was then regarded as the far west, reaching Stevens Point early that fall and she was married here the following March to Arthur B. Redfield. Their home for a brief time was off the present site of the Fred G. Kuhl residence property at main and Prentice Streets. Mr. and Mrs. Redfield later moved to Jordan and resided there some five or six years. Shortly after, Civil war as declared and Mr. Redfield enlisted for service and a the close of that struggle again joined his family in Stevens Point, they having returned here in the meantime. The husband and father was a railway mail clerk for many years prior to his death in 1911.

Since coming back from Jordan, the family home had been at Division and Dixon Streets which residential property was erected more than 65 years ago. The oldest son Arthur Fran Redfield died in 1892.

Surviving are one daughter and two sons, Mrs. A. F. Wyatt, now at Springfield MO, A.E. of this city, and Charles E. of St. Louis. Mrs. Wyatt is in poor health and unable to return here at this time but Charles Redfield is expected tonight or tomorrow. A brother of the deceased, Dirwin Otis lived at Shell Lake when last heard from.

Prayers will be offered by Rev. James Blake at the A. E. Redfield home Monday afternoon at 1:30 o'clock, the remains being then taken to the Baptist Church where services will be held at 2 p.m. Interment will follow at forest Cemetery.


Reprinted from the Stevens Point Daily Journal, Stevens Point, Wisconsin, Tuesday, February 5, 1924:

Burial of Pioneer

Last honors to the late Mrs. Phoebe Redfield, pioneer local resident, were paid here on Monday afternoon, when burial services were conducted by rev. James Blake at the Baptist Church. The body was then taken to Forest Cemetery and laid beside her husband A.B. Redfield in the family lot. Casket bearers were H.J. Finch, C.E. Emmons, C.H. McCreedy, F.P. Russell, B.L. Vaughan and B.S. Ellenwood. Those in charge of the numerous floral offerings were Florence Blake, and Lucille and Evelyn Redfield; the latter two were great grandchildren of the deceased. Charles E. Redfield, a son, came from St. Louis, MO, and C.C. Redfield, a nephew was here from Minneapolis.

Ransom B. Redfield

Reprinted from the Stevens Point Weekly Journal, Saturday, February 17, 1900. Contributed by Mary Moss.

Ransom B. Redfield

Ransom B. Redfield, who grew to manhood in this city, the only son of Mr. and Mrs. John H. Redfield of 719 Church Street, died Saturday morning at Mountain Iron, a small town away up in Northern Minnesota, 60 miles northwest of Duluth. The cause of the death was pneumonia. The family here, however, know nothing whatever as to the details of his illness or death.

Mrs. Redfield has been visiting with her daughter, Mrs. C.C. Johnson at Chippewa Falls for the past six weeks and had heard from her son and also written to him quite recently. Saturday afternoon she was shocked to receive a message announcing his death. She immediately had Mr. Johnson go to Mountain Iron to secure the body and bring it to this city for burial. She came to Stevens Point on the midnight train. Mr. John H. Redfield has been spending the winter at his mill near Knowlton, but returned home on Sunday in response to the message announcing his son's death.

Ransom was born in this city on December 24, 1864. He attended the local schools and afterward worked with his father at the mill until about twelve years ago when he went up to the iron and timber country in northern Minnesota where he was variously employed as a prospector, a bookkeeper and lumber grader near Biwabic, Messaba, Eli and other small towns. His last visit to his parents was about six years ago.

Besides his parents who are well advanced in years, he leaves three sisters, Mrs. Edgar C. Beadle of Knowlton (Flora), Mrs. J.V. Bakens of this city and Mrs. C.C. Johnson of Chippewa Falls, all of whom will be present for the funeral.

Mr. and Mrs. Redfield, who have been identified with the business and social life of this city for the past 40 years have the sincerest sympathy of all of their friends in their bereavement.

John Redfield

Reprinted from the Stevens Point Weekly Journal, Saturday, March 5, 1904. Contributed by Mary Moss.

A Sudden Death

John Redfield drops dead at the supper table Saturday night!

John Redfield, one of the pioneers of this section, dropped dead at the supper table at 7 o'clock Saturday evening at the home of his daughter, Mrs. Edward Beadle (Flora), at Knowlton. He had not been well for some time, being afflicted with heart trouble, but his demise was wholly unexpected at this time. He had just sat down to the table and poured his cup, when he threw up his hands and gasped and passed away. He had not been able to go outdoors or lie in a bed for some weeks.

Mr. Redfield was born in the state of New York on April 13, 1835 and was therefore in his sixty ninth year. He came to Wisconsin when a young man and took up lumbering. He has made his home in or near Stevens Point since 1853. On November 4, 1856 he married Miss Mary Jane Sargent at Wiota in Lafayette County. They were the parents of four children, Mrs. Flora Beadle of Knowlton, Mrs. Retta Bakens of this city, Mrs. Ina Johnson of Abbotsford and Ransom Redfield. The last name child died a few years ago.

For many years Mr. Redfield owned and operated a saw mill at Knowlton and at one time was in prosperous circumstances but in later years met with unfortunate reverses that saddened the later years of his life. He has not been in rugged health for many years and for about three months has been very miserable. He spent most of December and January in the city and seemed to be recovering and then returned to Knowlton so as to be near his business interests.

Besides a widow and his children he leaves one brother, A.B. Redfield of this city, and a sister, Mrs. Emily Cook of Pennsylvania. The deceased enjoyed a large acquaintance among older residents of this city and in the vicinity of Knowlton and was generally respected. He confined his attention exclusively to his own business and took no personal interest in local politics or public affairs.

The remains were brought down from Knowlton, Monday and were taken to the family residence at 719 Church Street where the funeral was held at 1 o'clock Tuesday afternoon with Rev. McClure officiating.

Mary Ellen Helbach Riley

Reprinted from the Stevens Point Journal, Friday, April 28, 1995. Contributed by Jeanne Stanis.

Mary Ellen Riley

Mary Ellen Riley, 64, rural Amherst, died at her home Thursday, April 27, 1995.

Funeral services are pending with Holly Funeral Home, Waupaca.


Reprinted from the Stevens Point Journal, Stevens Point, Wisconsin, Saturday, April 29, 1995:

Mary Ellen Riley

Mary Ellen Riley, 64, of rural Amherst, died Thursday, April 27, 1995, at her home.

Service will be at 1:30 p.m. Monday at St. Patrick Catholic Church, town of Lanark. The Rev. Michael Braun will officiate. Burial will be in St. Patrick Catholic Cemetery. Friends may call from 4 to 8 p.m. Sunday at the Holly Funeral Home, Waupaca, and from 9:30 a.m. until time of service Monday at the church.

She was born on May 8, 1930, in the town of Lanark, the daughter of the late George and Merle (Adams) Helbach.

On June 19, 1948, she was married to Ronald Riley at St. Patrick Catholic Church. He survives.

She served as clerk for the town of Lanark.

Survivors besides her husband include three daughters, Peg (Vern) Engle, Stevens Point, Karen (Mike) Bloedorn, Plainfield, and Jane (Wayne) Voelker, Weyauwega; two sons, Ronald Jr. (Cindy), Amherst, and Thomas (Kari), at home; 15 grandchildren; 11 great-grandchildren; three sisters, Neva Pruchnofski, Menasha, Marsha Turzinski, Plover, and Hazel Shulfer, Amherst; and two brothers, David Helbach, Amherst, and Robert Helbach, Amherst.

She was preceded in death by an infant daughter and four brothers.

Anna Helbach Sweeney

Reprinted from the Stevens Point Daily Journal, Tuesday, October 30, 1928. Contributed by Jeanne Stanis.

Anna Helbach Sweeney

Mrs. Anna Helbach Sweeney, a native of the town of Almond and sister of Joseph, John and George Helbach, present residents of this county, died at Columbus, Ohio, on October 20 and was buried at Phillips, Wis., last Tuesday. Among those who attended the funeral were Mrs. John W. Burns of Almond, a cousin of the deceased, and Joseph, George, LaVerne and Lucille Helbach.

Mrs. Sweeney was 76 years of age last March 1. Almost immediately after her marriage to John Sweeney they located at Phillips, where Mr. Sweeney passed away a number of years ago. Much of the time since then the widow had lived with her children, Mrs. Clara Sullivan of Phillips, Mrs. Geo. W. Baker of Wisconsin Rapids, Mrs. Frank Cody of Columbus, O. and Reuben Sweeney of Birmingham, Alabama. She was making her temporary home with Mrs. Cody when the final summons came.

Other near relatives are four brothers and two sisters, Joseph Helbach of Stevens Point, John Helbach of Almond, George Helbach of Mill Creek, Peter Helbach of Minneapolis, Mrs. Alice Zimmer of Eau Claire and Miss Fronia Helbach of Minneapolis. Mrs. Sweeney also leaves eight grandchildren.