2022-2023 Board

President: Jim Walker

Vice-President: Rich Warosh

Secretary: Karla Leppen

Treasurer: Joe Crueger

Newsletter: Sue Goodacre

Website: LuAnn Elsinger

Membership: Carol Gardner

The Joerns Family

Reprinted from Pedigree Pointers, Vol. X, No. 3, Spring 1988

Charles A. Joerns was born on February 4, 1871 at Winooski, town of Lynden, Sheboygan Co., WI, the youngest in a family of 12 children. His brothers and sisters were Otto, Fred, Paul, Helen, Bertha, Mrs. George Ferguson, Mrs. Mary Neumann, Mrs. Henry Schwalbe, and Martha.

Charles attended Plymouth High School and then the Chicago College of Pharmacy. He was in the drug store business in Minnesota and Chicago for 10 years. In 1899 he went into the furniture business in St. Paul, Minnesota. This plant closed in 1910 and he then moved to Sheboygan where he was in the lumber and furniture business. His factory was destroyed by fire in 1917 and he then came to Stevens Point and took over the Coye Furniture Company. He married Louise Benson in Renville, Minnesota. They had three children, Mrs. N. J. (Isabel) Lau, Mrs. W. W. (Carol) Wied and Frederick C. Joerns. Charles died on January 8, 1941 in La Jolla, California where he had gone to spend the winter.

Frederick C. (Fritz) Joerns, son of Charles Joerns, was born in St. Paul, Minnesota on November 15, 1901. He became president of the company upon his father's death. He married Ruth Jacobs on March 1, 1927 at St. Stephen's Church in Stevens Point. They had two daughters and a son, Frederick C. Joerns, Jr. Fred died March 28, 1965. Fritz Joerns died June 29, 1965. He is buried in St. Stephen's Cemetery.

Otto B. Joerns, brother of Charles, was born in Lynden Township, Sheboygan Co., WI on March 13, 1864. He graduated from Plymouth High School and then took a course in Civil Engineering at Valparaiso, Indiana. He taught school for three years and then was a civil engineer and surveyor in Sheboygan County. He became associated with his brothers in the furniture business in 1903 and was in charge of the company's plant at Sheboygan until it burned. He moved with his family to Stevens Point early in 1917. He had been mayor of Sheboygan for one term. In 1910 he was elected assemblyman from Sheboygan Co.  At the time of his death he was secretary of the Joerns Brothers Furniture Company. He died at Denver, Colorado on September 15, 1917. He was buried at Plymouth. He was survived by his wife and four children; Oliver, Helen, Corabelle and Stella.

Researched by: Donna Hanson

John O. Johnsen

Reprinted from Pedigree Pointers, Vol. VIII, No. 1, Fall 1985

John O. Johnsen was born on October 19, 1823 in Hanover, Germany. According to Mrs. Margo Rudd from Lansing, Michigan, who is trying to find out more information about him, his real name was VonBielendorf and he left Germany to avoid having to go to military school. He came to America in 1845 and worked in New York City for $3 per month until late in the summer of 1849 when he went to New Orleans. He stayed there for a few months then worked as a steward in a hotel in Panama for 5 months. He made 5 trips on the steamboat "Columbus" from Panama to San Francisco working as a steward. From 1850 to 1857 he worked in the gold fields of California. In April of 1857 he came to Stevens Point and was engaged in lumbering for a few years.

He was married to Augusta Zahn in Stevens Point in 1857. She was born in Posen, Prussia on March 17, 1833 and came to America when a young girl. John and Augusta had eight children as follows: Charles, who died December 12, 1905; Emma who died July 24, 1862; Dr. John Victor, who lived at Eveleth, Minnesota, fought in the Spanish-American War and died October 11, 1925; Jennie married to G. W. Mulligan and lived at Eveleth and died April 8, 1912; August who died April 18, 1911; Otto who lived in northern Minnesota; Louis who lived in Minneapolis and Wllhelmina "Minnie" who was married to H. E. Marks and later to a Mr. Scidmore.

On July 16, 1861 John enlisted in the Civil War and was assigned to Co. H, 6th Regiment, a regiment which later formed part of the Iron Brigade. He fought in the Battle of Gettysburg where he was wounded twice and taken prisoner but escaped 3 days later. On December 5, 1864 he was promoted to Captain of Co. H 45th Regiment.

After the war he spent a few months prospecting in Kansas then returned to Stevens Point and engaged in lumbering again. He also was in the feed business and selling of general supplies.

According to his obituary he built several houses in different parts of the city and also built and owned one of the best business blocks in the city at the corner of Main Street and the Public Square. John and Augusta lived at 523 Main Street.

John served as an alderman and was City Marshal in 1868 and served as mayor in 1881-82.

John died on January 7, 1903 and Augusta died on July 7, 1907. They are buried in Forest Cemetery.

Researched by: Donna Hanson

Nathaniel Kimball

Reprinted from Pedigree Pointers, Vol. V, No. 2, January 1983

Nathaniel Kimball, my great uncle, was born in 1838 to John and Anna (Milliken) Kimball, in Maine.  After losing three girls and a boy to an epidemic, the family moved to Portage County, WI, settling on land in the town of Stockton.  Nathaniel owned 80 acres adjoining that of his parents - lying across the corner from the Kimball Burial Ground.  According to his military records, Nathaniel was a farmer, with blue eyes, brown hair and fair complexion, standing 5 feet 10 inches at age 25.  On November 23, 1863, he was drafted in the service, where he served as a private in Company I of the 37th Regiment of Wisconsin Infantry.  On April 30, 1864 he answered roll call in Madison, Wisconsin, and on June 17, 1864 he received a gunshot wound to his thorax and lung in action before Petersburg, Virginia.  On July 3, 1864 he died at DeCamp U.S.A. General Hospital, David's Island, New York, and is buried in Cypress Hill Cemetery, Long Island, New York, Section lD, grave #1275.

Contributed by Margaret M. Fahrner.

John Rider Kingsbury

Reprinted from Pedigree Pointers, Vol. IX, No. 1, Fall 1986

John Rider Kingsbury was born in Brewer, Maine on October 20, 1819. His parents moved to Bradford, Maine when he was an infant and he was raised there and remained until he was 27 years old. He went to Dexter, Maine and clerked in a store for three years. Then for the next nine years engaged in the mercantile business. On March 20, 1850 he married Hannah Whitney. She was born September 30, 1820. In May of 1859 he came to Stevens Point and in November of that year his family came. For the next thirteen years he was engaged in the mercantile business with Matthew Wadleigh. He was also interested in lumbering for awhile. His wife died on October 6, 1863 and is buried in Forest Cemetery. They had four children: Rectina M. and Jerome of Antigo, Forest W. of Evansville, Indiana and Edna A. married to Geo. Reed who first lived in Schofield, then Grand Rapids, Minnesota.

On February 1, 1865 he married Susan Delia Sylvester, the daughter of William Sylvester and Nancy Jane Girard Allen at Grand Marsh, Adams County, WI. She was born in Green Bay, WI on August 14, 1838. They had two sons: Walter L., who settled in Oklahoma and William E. from Stevens Point.

For several years John Kingsbury served as an alderman. He was a county commissioner for two years and in 1869 was elected to the office of County Judge. He was elected again in 1877 and in 1881 and again in 1885. He retired on January 1, 1890 having served sixteen years in all. Besides his children, he also has two brothers, Emmons and Thos. Kingsbury of Bradford, Maine and three sisters, Mrs. Susan Dunning, Charleston, Maine, Mrs. R. Wilson, Bangor, Maine and Mrs. H. Rines of California. He died on January 31, 1891 and is buried in Forest Cemetery. Delia Kingsbury died on July 11, 1908 and is also buried in Forest Cemetery.

Researched by: Donna Hanson

Alexander Krembs, Sr.

Reprinted from Pedigree Pointers, Vol. I, No. 3, April 1979

This information was extracted from an article that appeared in the Stevens Point Daily Journal.

Mr. Krembs was born 14 March 1840 at Dischigen, Neresheim, Kingdom of Württemberg, Germany. He came to America on the steamer "Belgic" to New York and then to Fond du Lac, Wisconsin arriving 28 October 1856. In December of the same year he came by stage to Stevens Point where he became a clerk in the United States land office. He worked there for a year and a half. Next he worked six months for Charles Hoeflinger, who was a merchant.

Abraham Brawley asked if Krembs would become head clerk at the land office again. Krembs stayed there until Mr. Brawley left that office. Next Krembs went to Constableville, N. Y, in Lewis County where he stayed for one year. He returned to Fond du Lac and worked six months at Hopkins & Serve's dry goods store. His next move was to Milwaukee where he worked in Mack Brother's store until 186l. He was appointed deputy treasurer of Marathon County from December 1861 to December 1862.

Mr. Krembs had always wanted to be in business for himself. His brother, Charles, had a tin shop in Stevens Point and he wanted to become a partner adding hardware to the tin shop. His brother was in favor of becoming partners if Alexander could come up with the money. So Krembs went to Fond du Lac again and got a job as a clerk to the city treasurer for $75 per month. He stayed for two months. With his $150 he went to Milwaukee with his brother, Charles, and Mr. Hoeflinger. He was able to get a loan in order to buy the hardware stock.

In January of 1863, he started in business with his brother. The store was known as C. Krembs & Bro. On December 29, 1865 the store burned. They had only $1,500 in insurance and so lost $12,000. They had a new store built. Charles Krembs died 23 October 1876. On May 3, 1895 Alexander Krembs laid the cornerstone for a new block of buildings on the corner of Main Street and the Public Square.

The above information was condensed from information written by Mr. Krembs and placed in the cornerstone of the new building.

Alexander Krembs married Elizabeth Biegler of Richfield, Washington County, Wisconsin on 9 July 1873 in Milwaukee. They had six sons. Fritz A. was associated with his father in the hardware business. Emil A. was a cashier at the Lincoln County Bank in Merrill. Alexander owned a drug store at the corner of Main Street and Strongs Avenue. Anton C. was also with his father in the hardware business. Moritz and Franz J. were dentists in Stevens Point. Mr. Krembs died 25 January 1911.

Benjamin Franklin McMillian

Reprinted from Pedigree Pointers, Vol. XVIII, No. 1, Fall 1995

Benjamin Franklin McMillan was born at Fort Covington, Franklin Co., New York, on October 7, 1845, the son of David S. McMillan and Harriet Barbour. The family came to Wisconsin in 1864 and settled in the town of Sharon, Portage Co., where David carried on lumbering operations until 1873, when he was succeeded in business by his sons, B. F. and Chas. V. McMillan.

Benjamin was one of a family of 12 children. At the death of his father on November 3, 1883, there were only three surviving children. Besides Benjamin and Charles, a sister, Mrs. S.B. Powell was living in Chicago.

Benjamin attended school until 18 years of age. From 1868 until 1870 he was in charge of the McMillan lumber yards at Keokuk, Iowa. He was married to Ada M. Beebee on April 30, 1873. She was born at East Constable, New York. They had one child who died in infancy.

When his father retired, Benjamin and his brother continued the business. They located the site of an extensive plant in Marathon Co. and carried on lumbering operations there until the early 1900s. They built a nine mile logging road, reaching through the township of Eau Pleine in Portage Co. They also in­vested in California timber. B. F. had been president of the First National Bank at Marshfield for a number of years and was almost as prominent in banking circles as he was in lumbering. He also had devoted his time to a big stock farm adjoining his home, where he cared for many head of thoroughbred horses and cattle.

He died at his home in the town of McMillan, Marathon Co., on November 12, 1918, from influenza, at the age of 73 years. His wife, Ada, lived until August 29, 1924. They are buried in Forest Cemetery in Stevens Point. David and Harriet McMillan are also buried in Forest Cemetery. In Harriet's obituary it states that her maiden name was Newell. In David's obituary it states that her name was Barber.

Sources: GAZETTE, Nov. 13, 1918; SPDJ, Aug. 30, 1924; SPWJ, Nov. 10, 1883; and GAZETTE, May 3, 1911

Edward Metcalf & wife Lois Stow(e)

Reprinted from Pedigree Pointers, Vol. VII, No. 2, Winter 1985

Edward Howell Metcalf was born on December 7, 1820 at Bath, Steuben County, New York.  He came with his parents to McHenry County Illinois in 1835.  His parents were born in England and are buried at Woodstock, Illinois.  He had four brothers - John, Thomas, Sam and Dan who all came to Portage County and preceded him in death.

In November 1840 Edward came to Portage County and for forty years was a river pilot on the Wisconsin River.  He was considered one of the best Grand Rapids pilots.  On July 9, 1848 he married Lois Stow in Boone County, Illinois.  She was the daughter of Hiram and Betty Stow.   Hiram Stow was the man who brought Maria Anson from Illinois with a horse team in 1845.  They were caught in a severe snow storm and decided to keep going and finally reached Robert Wakley's cabin.

Lois was born September 1, 1828 in Cattaraugus County, New York.  Edward and Lois lived on the east bank of the Wisconsin River at Conant Rapids until 1857.  They then moved to a farm two miles south of Arnott in the town of Stockton (Portage Co).  They had four children.  Caroline was born in 1849 and according to S. A. Sherman was the first white female child born within what is now the city of Stevens Point.  She married G. W. Brown and lived in Crystal Falls, Michigan.  She died January 8, 1898 and is buried in the Plover Cemetery.  Arthur Metcalf became a doctor and lived in Dunbar and Green Bay, Wisconsin.  Albert Metcalf died on January 13, 1866 at the age of ten years and is buried in the Plover Cemetery.  Clara Metcalf married John Hanson.

The only society Edward Metcalf ever belonged to was an English organization, the Sons of St. George, he having joined the Earl of Beaconsfield Lodge, with his son Arthur, at Crystal Falls, Michigan.  He was a Democrat but respected the views of those who differed with him.

Edward and Lois Metcalf were some of the earliest pioneers to come to Portage County and were well thought of here.  Edward died July 11, 1899 and is buried in the Plover Cemetery.  Lois died March 15, 1906.  There were 100 teams forming the funeral procession from her home to the ME Church at Plover.  She is buried in the Plover Cemetery.

Researched by Donna Hanson.

Jacob Patch

Reprinted from Pedigree Pointers, Vol. IV, No. 2, January 1982

Jacob Patch was born in Groton, Massachusetts 12 January 1815. His grandfather fought in the Revolutionary War and his father in the War of 1812. He went to Western Reserve College in Hudson, Ohio for his theological training and completed his studies in 1842. He took special courses at the same college until 1845 when he was ordained and assigned to Steuben County, Indiana.

On October 30, 1845 he married Jane Bush at Holyoke Falls, New York, the home of her foster parents. She was a teacher at the seminary in Hudson, Ohio when she met Mr. Patch while he was a student at Western Reserve. Jane was born 27 May 1822 at Hanover, New Hampshire. Her father died when she was six years old and her mother died when she was twelve. She was adopted by the Allen's, who were friends of the family.

After their marriage they lived at Orland, Indiana for twenty years where Rev. Patch was a pastor. In 1866 they moved to Stevens Point where he organized the First Presbyterian congregation. In four years the membership increased from 10 to 40 members. In 1872 they returned to Orland where they stayed for 3 years.

Returning to Stevens Point, Rev. Patch engaged in missionary work. He traveled a large circuit from Fort Howard to Butternut and assisted in the organization of Presbyterian churches in Phillips and Marshfield. He preached the first sermon in Merrill. He also assisted in the organization of churches in many smaller towns, among them Westfield.

After giving up the circuit, he became a regular pastor at Lake Howard church in Shantytown. Sixty years after preaching his first sermon, at the age of 90, Rev. Patch drove from Stevens Point to Meehan Station, by horse and carriage, a distance of 10 miles, where he addressed a large congregation. After the service he drove back, making no stops between the church and Stevens Point.

Rev. and Mrs. Patch had six children. Two sons died in infancy. George owned a fruit farm in Sunnyside, California, Jennie lived in Berkeley, California, Mary was a doctor and lived at Canfield, Ohio and Martha was the wife of Dr. Daniel Campbell of Canfield, Ohio.

On October 30, 1895 Rev. and Mrs. Patch celebrated their golden wedding anniversary with an open house at the manse. They also celebrated their 6Oth wedding anniversary on November 4, 1905.

Rev. Patch died at his home at age 95 on 21 February 1910. He was buried in Forest Cemetery. Mrs. Patch went to live with her daughter, Mrs. Campbell, in Canfield, Ohio after his death. She died there 7 March 1916. Her body was brought back to Stevens Point and she was buried next to her husband.

The next time you drive down Patch Street think about Rev. Patch. The city fathers also thought highly of Mrs. Patch because they named a street after her too. Bush Street is right next to Patch Street.

Simon Pederson

Reprinted from Pedigree Pointers, Vol. V, No. 3, April 1983

The soldier in my ancestry which I will give a brief history of is Simon Pederson, son of Peder and Sofie Gunderson, my great-­great-great grandparents who lived in Gausdal, Norway.

Simon was born approximately in 1842 in Norway and immigrated to the United States sometime before the end of 1861.  His brother, Ole Pederson Klope, was living in Alban Township, Portage County in 1858 or 1859.

At the age of 20, on November 9, 1861, in Scandinavia, Waupaca County, Wisconsin, he joined Co I, 15th Reg., Wis. Infantry, Union Army for 3 years.  He was mustered in December 20, 1861 at Madison, Wisconsin.  He was appointed Corporal February 1, 1862.  He was present on the company muster roll until October 13, 1863 when he was absent as he was on duty with the supply train.  July of 1863 he was on duty in the company messhouse.  He was present again in November of 1863 throughout part of May of 1864.  On May 27, 1864, Simon was missing in action.  His military records say he was wounded and captured near Dallas, Georgia on May 27, 1864.  He was a prisoner of war of the Confederate Army.  He was admitted to the hospital at the infamous Andersonville Prison in Georgia on September 27, 1864.  He died that same day.  He is buried at Andersonville, Georgia.

Contributed by Cindy Kluck.

Ellen Hall Phillips

Reprinted from Pedigree Pointers, Vol. II, no. 1, October 1979

Ellen Eliza Hall was born on the 11th or 14th of October 1832 at Andover, Massachusetts.  She was the daughter of a minister, the Rev. Samuel Read Hall.  She married John Phillips on 5 October 1854 at Brownington, Vermont.

Dr. Phillips was a physician who had come to Stevens Point in the fall of 1848.  He went back east to get married and they returned to Stevens Point after the wedding.  Dr. Phillips was born 4 November 1823 at Richmond, Vermont.  He was very active in community affairs.  In 1860 and 1864 he was elected to the state assembly.  In 1895 he was elected state senator serving four years.

Ellen Phillips was best known for her writing of poetry.  She wrote under the pen name of Ada J. Moore.  Several of her poems were published in THE PINERY.  She also published a book of poems entitled "Under the Pines" about 1875.

John and Ellen Phillips had seven known children.  Four of them died in infancy - Pearl Estelle, John Henry, Edwin Hall and Mary Ada.  The other children were Carl, also a physician, who died about 1895, Florence, who married Lyman Rhoades, also a physician, and who died in 1918 and Mrs. E. M. Rogers.  She married a dentist and they lived in Stevens Point.

Ellen Phillips died in August of 1877 either the 21st, 24th or 26th.  Dr. John Phillips died 26 July 1903.  They are buried in Forest Cemetery with their children.

Byrum Handy Powers

Reprinted from Pedigree Pointers, Vol. V, No. 2, January 1983

Byrum Handy Powers, my great-great grandfather, was a Civil War veteran.  He had arrived in Wisconsin by 1850, with his parents, Abram Gridley Powers and Catherine Bidwell Powers, and his younger sister, Mary.  In 1855 he married Harriet VanWie and they farmed in Adams County, WI.  By the time he enlisted, they had 4 children, the youngest only 3 weeks old.

Byrum Handy Powers, age 29, enlisted at Somerset, Minnesota, on October 19, 1864 for 1 year of service with Minnesota's First Regi­ment Heavy Artillery. (Why not a Wisconsin Volunteer)?  At Rochester he was pronounced physically and mentally fit by Dr. William W. Mayo.  Apparently he had about 1 month of training at Fort Snelling.

According to Minnesota in Civil and Indian Wars 1861-1865, "The gallant men composing the First Minnesota Heavy Artillery came mainly from the country districts.  Intelligent and stalwart, healthy and rugged and inured to toil, they formed splendid material for soldiers."

This regiment was organized in the summer of 1864, and as fast as each company was organized, it was ordered to Chatanooga, TN to take charge of the heavy guns and forts there.  At this point, General Hood had reorganized the rebel forces of the South and Southwest.  Rumors persisted that he would march to Chatanooga and try to join General Lee at Knoxville.  The men were put on half rations, and great vigilance and anxiety prevailed.

By the summer and fall of 1865 the war was practically over and the regiment was mustered out.  I don't know if they ever actually joined battle with the rebels.

For 11 months of service, Byrum was paid $33.33 upon enlistment.  When he was mustered out at Nashville, TN he was paid another $33.33, of which he owed the government $4.63 for clothes and apparently paid $6.00 for his musket.   I wonder if he ever got the $33.33 still due him.  He was promoted from private to corporal in March of 1865 without apparent increase in pay.

Byrum returned to his family and his farm in Adams County and had one more child.  His death record of 21 December 1886 also lists his occupation as County Treasurer.

Contributed by Anne Wick.

Jeremiah D. Rodgers

Reprinted from Pedigree Pointers, Vol. IV, No. 3, April 1982

Jerry Rodgers was born on September 8,1822, in Barnett, Caledonia County, Vermont. He was the son of a doctor. When he was 16 years old he went to Lowell, Massachusetts to learn to be a druggist from Dr. Duesbery, an English professor and friend of Dr. J. C. Ayers. Dr. Ayers was the great patent medicine man whose Medicon was known all over the world.

In the spring of 1841 Jerry came to Belvidere, Illinois. He taught school that winter in Belvidere. He then stopped at the White Oak Spring lead mines in Wisconsin and came to Portage County in March of 1842. He didn't stay long but moved on to Big Bull Falls (Wausau) where he followed lumbering until November of 1849, when he settled in Plover. He started a mercantile business there selling groceries, crockery, etc.

He was elected Clerk of Court and Clerk of the Board of Supervisors in November of 1849, which he held for one term. In November of 1851 he was elected Registrar of Deeds, which he also held for one term.

He married Miss Mary Compton on December 22, 1851, at Grand Rapids (Wisconsin Rapids). She was born in New York state on February 28, 1828.

During the Civil War he was mustered into service on January 6, 1862. He was commissioned 1st Lieutenant and appointed regimental quartermaster of the 18th Reg. Wis. Vol. Inf. He was at the Battle of Shiloh and assisted in taking Col. James S. Alban off of the battlefield after he was shot at Pittsburg Landing. On August 31,1862, he resigned on account of ill health.

In May of 1864, he went west to the Rocky Mountains in Montana where he had a ranch and mined for 2 ½ years. While there he was struck by a tree and received a scull fracture. He then sold out in 1867 and returned to Plover again where he ran a mercantile business and drug store. He later sold this business and moved to Lafayette, Indiana, to spend a year with his son Jerry Jr. He returned to Plover again in March of 1900.

The Rodger's had three children. An infant who was born March 24,1854, and died April 5,1854; Sarah Iva who was born July 23,1855, married Harper Dutton, and lived in Watertown, Dakota Territory; and Arthur Jerry who was born May 11, 1859, and was the Assistant Supervisor at the Insane Asylum at Madison, Wisconsin. Later he lived in Lafayette, Fort Wayne, and Indianapolis, Indiana.

Jerry Rodgers died on May 3,1902, at the Veterans Home at King, Wisconsin. He was the last surviving charter member of the original Odd Fellows Lodge at Plover, which was organized in 1852. He is buried in the Plover Cemetery.

Mrs. Rodgers committed suicide on July 23, 1902, by taking rat poison. She is also buried in the Plover Cemetery.

Researched by Donna Hanson.

Sources: HISTORY OF NORTHERN WISCONSIN, p. 761; THE GAZETTE, May 7,1902; STEVENS POINT JOURNAL, July 26, 1902; Simon A. Sherman notebooks

Michael A. Rousseau

Reprinted from Pedigree Pointers, Vol. IX, No. 4, Summer 1987

Michael A. Rousseau was born on Mackinac Island, Michigan, on February 22, 1822. He was the son of Augustine Rousseau and Marguerite Louise Champagne. Augustine was born January 26, 1799, in Canada. He had signed on with the American Fur Company at Montreal for a period of three years on January 6, 1816. He married Marguerite Champagne in a civil ceremony on December 30, 1821, and at St. Ann's Church on Mackinac Island on October 22, 1825. There were ten children in this family, Michael being the oldest son. Augustine Rousseau died November 1, 1857, in the Town of Scott, Brown County, WI, and is buried in the Old Holy Cross Cemetery. Marguerite died about 1891 at the Bay Settlement Convent near Green Bay, WI.

Michael Rousseau was a sailor on the Great Lakes until he was 25 years old. He came to Green Bay in 1835 and stayed there until 1846. He also lived in Fond du Lac, Neenah, and Grand Rapids before settling in Plover in 1848. He stayed there for 6 years, then began farming in the town of Stockton.

On August 31, 1854, Michael Rousseau was married to Sophia Kellogg Hall in Stockton. She was born at Clockville, near Utica, NY, on March 14, 1825. Michael and Sophia had eleven children, six of them dying early in life. The other five were: Maggie, who married James E. Leary on October 5, 1881, in Stevens Point. They lived at Merrill then moved to Libby, Montana, where Maggie died on September 11, 1929. Louis was living in Merrill in 1894, in Madison in 1895, and in Rib Lake in 1908. Orville lived in Merrill, then moved to Seattle, Washington, where he was in the lumber business. He died on July 22, 1926. Albert was living in La Crosse in 1894, and was in Cerro Gordo, New Mexico in 1926. He had died by 1929. George Franklin "Frank" was living in West Superior in 1894, Cerro Gordo, New Mexico in 1926, and El Paso, Texas in 1929.

Michael Rousseau was under sheriff of Portage County in 1852 and 1853. He was elected as sheriff in 1860 and continued until 1863. From 1864 to 1869 he was engaged in the lumbering business around Wausau. He and Daniel Stevens bought the E. D. Brown saw mill late in 1869, which was located on the west bank of the Plover River two miles east of Stevens Point. They operated the mill until October of 1878 when the business was discontinued. During 1879 Michael ran the Wallace & Karner mill on the west side.

He was elected sheriff in 1880, 1881, 1884, and 1885, and was under sheriff in 1882 and 1883. From 1888 until September of 1893 he was county treasurer, when he resigned because of ill health.

Michael Rousseau died on July 30, 1894, at his home in Stevens Point. He was a member of St. Stephen's Catholic Church and is buried in St. Stephen's Cemetery without a marker. Sophia Rousseau died on June 7, 1895 in Merrill at the home of her daughter. She is also buried in St. Stephen's Cemetery without a marker.

Researched by Donna Hanson. Thanks to Mary Rousseau Liedeka from Green Bay, WI, for information about Augustine Rousseau and Marguerite Champagne. Other sources: Obituaries in the GAZETTE and STEVENS POINT JOURNAL

Simon A. Sherman

The following account is reprinted from the 1907 Stevens Point Weekly Journal, Saturday, June 22, 1907.  This was part of the presentation given at the 14th annual Old Settler's Picnic held at Sherman's Grove held on Thursday, June 20, 1907 and includes a biography of Simon A. Sherman.


The Old Settlers' fourteenth annual picnic was held at Sherman's grove Thursday.  The crowds began assembling from all the country round.  The day was ideal for such a gathering and by noon there was a large attendance.  The lunches were spread at 12 o'clock and after these were satisfactorily disposed of an informal program was carried out.

It was the first meeting since the death of Simon A. Sherman, the pioneer, who has so long been prominent in the association and who was its president from the first organization of the society until his death.  His powerful physique and dominent spirit was greatly missed at the gathering today.

The program opened with prayer by Rev. Jacob Patch , who at the age of 94 is probably the oldest active minister in this country.  The principal address was delivered by Rev. James Blake of the Baptist church who spoke as follows:


Meeting with you for the first time after the death of Mr. Sherman upon the very spot where he spent most of his life, I thought that after reading through his diary you would be interested in some of those things which took place so many years ago.  We are indeed grateful for his persistence in keeping up a daily journal for so many years.

We find that he made his way from Massachusetts to Milwaukee and on October 14, 1848, he started for Plover, and on March 3, 1851, commenced keeping a diary.  After staying awhile in the pinery he went back to New Hampshire and took out a license to be married on April 18, and on April 22 he was married and gave the preacher $5.  The Sunday following he took his bride to church as proud as a man could well be.  During this year he had an eye to business as he "swapped his violin and received $12.50 to boot."

In 1845 he says the first white baby was born in this vicinity.  Its mother died, the nearest doctor being 75 miles away, and Mrs. A. Brawley wrapped the infant in a shawl and took it to her own home and later adopted it and named her Kit Brawley. She grew to be a young lady and married Charles Champion, a mechanic from Chicago. The only preacher in the pinery lived in Grand Rapids and it was he who delivered the funeral sermon over the remains of Kit's mother, which was the first funeral sermon heard in the pineries.

Judge Bean performed the first marriage ceremony in 1845 when John R. Mitchell married Fanny Luther.

In 1852 Mr. Sherman bought his first planing mill.  In 1853 he was at Fond du Lac, and started out to skate to Oshkosh, but the ice borke and his clothes froze on him and he would have been frozen to death had not a driver picked him up and carried him to Oshkosh.  In September he notes that he made a coffin for Mrs. Wells for $2.50.  On a Sunday, June, 1854, he led the singing in the Plover Baptist church.

His son, Clarence was born in 1854.  Mrs. Sherman took him to a baby show and he won the first prize.  A donation supper was given at the Sherman home in 1856 for the benefit of Rev. J. Edwards of the Presbyterian church, the proceeds amounting to $75. The supper was followed by a dance, greatly to the dislike to Mrs. Sherman.

We find him on May 9, 1858, superintending the Baptist Sunday school.  In reading his early history he writes, "he thought he had experienced religion" and he joined the Baptist church when he was eighteen.

In 1853 he subscribed to the Plover Herald the sum of five dollars and he also notes that the village of Plover was incorporated.

In 1865 he hired a substitute for the army, sold a pocket dictionary for $1.75 and paid $50 for a tombstone for his father.

In April 1867, $3 was given to help to buy an organ for the M. E. church and $5 for the elder.  It was during this year that he writes he weighed 196 pounds, the most that he had ever weighed.

In 1872 he sent out his son, Clarence, with a trusted hired man with a large consignment of timber.  It was sold for $500.  His mother had fortunately made for him an inside pocket to his shirt and there he had this money and a revolver.  The trusted man during the night went through his pockets and not finding the cash awoke the young fellow and threatened to kill him if he did not give it over to him, whereupon Clarence put his hand to his bosom to get it, as the man thought, but Clarence put up the revolver in his face and dared him to make another move.  The man pleaded for mercy and Clarence forgave him on the condition that he would never again appear in this community and he hasn't been seen since.

On July 26, 1880, he writes that hail stones fell as large as a man's head, killing horses and breaking through many roofs and destroying all the crops around here.

At the age of 42 he writes that he had one of the best of mothers.  At her knee every Sunday morning she taught him from the Bible.  She never punished him.

He writes: "I have never regretted any dollar I ever gave to my parents.  I have had to rely entirely on my ability.  I have always been very careful with my money, never attending a dance or a ball, nor did I ever gamble or visit a house of ill fame, or was I ever under the influence of intoxicating drinks. Never have I used tobacco in any form, nor have I had more than one attack of headache up to the present time.  I have been in twenty different states of the Union, among all manner of contagious diseases but I attribute my splendid health to the fact that I never allowed myself to indulge in the poular vices of the day".

Chaplain Brown of the Waupaca Home also delivered an address.  The attendance was between two and three hundred.  The following officers were elected: President, J. W. Strope; vice-president, W. H. Field; secretary, J. B. Dawley.

Simon A. Sherman's diary can be found in the archives, 5th floor, of the James Albertson Learning Resources Center on the University of Wisconsin - Stevens Point campus.

William W. Spraggon

Reprinted from Pedigree Pointers, Vol. V, No. 4, July 1983

William W. Spraggon was born in Rothbury, Northumberland County England on November 30, 1836.  In the winter of 1851 he went to London where he learned the baker's trade.  In January of 1854 he came to New York City and worked as a baker on Long Island until May of 1856 when he came to Wisconsin.  He stayed with his brother in Adams County.  On November l4, 1856 he came to Stevens Point and was employed in a bakery until 1859.  In the latter year he engaged in the bakery business for himself, and later erected one of the first stone buildings ever built in the city.   In 1873 he established a steam bakery, which was the first of its kind in this part of the state.  He manufactured from 500 to 600 barrels of flour into crackers each year.  His sales amounted to $8,000 to $10,000 yearly.

He was an alderman in the 2nd ward from 1864 to 1866.  He was mayor of Stevens Point in 1866 and also from 1878 to 1880 and from 1886 to 1887 and again in 1890.  He served the city faithfully and well.  He was also a member of the board of education and one time was a Republican candidate for member of the state assembly.

He was married twice.  His first wife was Bridget Masterson, born in Veldenstown, County Meath Ireland on August 15, 1821.  She was the daughter of John Kinseller. With her first husband she was one of the early settlers of Stevens Point arriving in 1849.  She married William Spraggon on September 12, 1858.  There were no children by the first marriage but Daniel and Thomas Bennett, nephews of Mrs. Spraggon were brought up from childhood by them.  Bridget died on April 17, 1881.

Mr. Spraggon married second, Mary Isabelle Spraggon, daughter of Robert Richley Spraggon and Phillis Hay.  Her father was a foster brother of William Spraggon but was never adopted by William's parents.  She was born in Prairie du Chien, WI on August 16, 1860.  When she was three years old they moved to Millville in Grant County.  She came to Stevens Point in 1881 and on October 4, 1883 married William Spraggon.  They had two children; William, who died on September 18, 1887 at the age of four years from scarlet fever and PhillisMary died December 27, 1897 and is buried in Forest Cemetery.

At the time of his death Mr. Spraggon was serving his third year as President of the Citizens National Bank.  He was also President of Coye Furniture Company.  He died August 2, 1901 and is also buried in Forest Cemetery.

SOURCES: Portage County Death Records, Obituaries in "Stevens Point Gazette" and "Stevens Point Daily Journal," and "History of Northern Wisconsin."

John Stumpf

Reprinted from Pedigree Pointers, Vol. XI, No. 2, Winter 1989

John Stumpf was born at Darmstadt, Germany on January 8, 1828 and came to the United States in 1847. He lived for a short time in Iowa County WI and came to Stevens Point in the fall of 1848. In 1852 he was elected Register of Deeds and County Clerk and moved to Plover the following January. During the next several years he held a number of county offices, being chosen as a Democrat, with which party he remained until after the Civil War and was an active Republican after that.

On July 27, 1856 he married Harriet M. Richmond of Stockton. They had three children, John, Edwin and Albert.

He enlisted in Company G of the 18th Wisconsin Infantry on February 20, 1862. He was appointed first sergeant of the company. He was captured at Shiloh and was a prisoner for seven months. At the siege of Vicksburg he was wounded in the left arm and side and the arm was permanently crippled. He mustered out on January 11, 1864.

He was elected County Treasurer in 1864 and re-elected twice to that post. In 1873 he was chosen County Judge and returned to Stevens Point in 1874. While serving as judge he was admitted to the bar. For thirty years he held office continually, either city or county, among them being Clerk of Court, City Clerk, City Treasurer, Police Justice and Justice of the Peace. During his residence in Plover in 1856-57 he was Postmaster and express agent. “His accounts were ever found accurate, his records complete and his honesty and integrity had never been questioned even by those who were most strenuously opposed to him in politics. Mr. Stumpf was a most genial gentleman, a steadfast friend and a good citizen, kind husband and devoted father. He loved sociability, and in German circles especially, did he always take an active and leading part.”

He was the first secretary of the Eintrachts Verein and never missed an opportunity to work for the advancement of this society. He was also a Mason and had belonged to the Odd Fellows for over forty years, the Stumpf Lodge, I.O.O.F. being named after him.

He died March 28, 1895 and is buried in Forest Cemetery.

Charles Van Buskirk & wife Angie Crocker

Reprinted from Pedigree Pointers, Vol. III, No. 3, April 1981

Charles Van Buskirk was born on September 29, 1845 in Woodstock, Carleton County, New Brunswick, Canada, the second son of Levir and Susan (Towle) Vanbuskirk.   In late 1847 he moved with his parents to Orono, Maine, where he lived until his parents' death in the summer of 1853, when he went to live with his grandparents, Elisha and Susannah Towle in Eau Pleine, Portage County, Wisconsin.   At age 14 he went to work in the woods.  From a helper in the lumber camp he worked his way up to contractor and finally owner of large timber tracts in partnership with his older brother, George Wesley Van Buskirk, in Dancy, Ogema and Van Buskirk, Wisconsin.  On July 1, 1885, he married Angie Bertha Crocker, who was born on December 30, 1860 in Wausau, Wisconsin, daughter of Calvin Russell and Emily (Foster) Crocker of Wausau.  She was a teacher in the Wausau schools.  On June 20, 1885, Charles purchased a home for his bride at 1516 Church Street in Stevens Point, where their son, Charles Raymond was born on April 7, 1886 and Erle Lever was born on September 9, 1887.  In the fall of 1889 the family moved to Van Buskirk, Iron County, Wisconsin, where the Van Buskirk Brothers mill was located.  Charles ran the logging crews and attended to the sales of lumber, while his brother, George, had charge of the mill and the manufacturing of lumber.

In September of 1893 the family moved to Lodi, San Joaquin County, California.  Shortly after arriving in California, Charles and his brother bought extensive timber lands in Calaveras and Amador counties in California.  In 1902 Charles bought his brother's interests and in 1906 he sold three fourths of his interests to Brown Bros. Lumber Company of Rhinelander, Wisconsin and gradually sold off the rest of his timber interests in 1919.  On his arrival in Lodi, he was foresigthed enough to purchase 13 corner lots in the city on which he had built several buildings, including an Opera House. At the time of his death in 1920 five of these lots were in the main business center.  He was interested in obtaining a library, all matters pertaining to schools, paving of streets, churches and other religious organizations.  He worked earnestly to rid Lodi of saloons. He was a devout Christian and a member of the Congregational Church.  He died at his home, 611 N. Chruch Street in Lodi, California on Ocotber 7, 1920.

His widow, Angie, orgainzed several clubs or lodges for boys and took in young girls and raised them as her own.  She was an active worker in Womens' Christian Temperance Union, being president of the county organization for 4 years.  She was a member of the Women's Club and the Congregational Church, where she was Sunday School Superintendant and Superintendant of the Junior Christian Endeavor.  She died on December 2, 1933 in her home on Church Street in Lodi, California.

Their son, Charles Raymond helped his father and mother in their many business interests and on July 14, 1909 he married Janet Ena McKenzie, daughter of John and Christina (McBride) McKenzie of Lodi, California.  They had no children.  Janet died May 31, 1931 and on June 29, 1935 Charles married his mother's nurse before her death - Bertha Streibel, daughter of Henrich and Amelia (Shielke) Streibel of Lodi, California. They had no children.  Over the years until his death in 1979 Charles Raymond donated property in the area to churches, schools and parks.  He began raising table grapes after his father's death and farming what is now Van Buskirk Park & Golf Course and Lever Village in southwest Stockton, California.  As late as 1975 he was busy checking his vineyards and walnut orchards.  He was active in the Lodi Recreation Association and Park Commission for 15 years, a 41 year perfect attendant of the Rotary Club, Lodi District Chamber of Commerce, serving as a director for 4 years, a member of the Commonwealth Club of San Francisco, a member of the Stockton Reclamation District and contributor and supporter of the Boy Scouts.  He was the longest active member of the Congregatinal Church, where he taught high school boys for more than 30 years. He died on May 15, 1979.

Their son, Erle Lever, graduated from Western School of Commerce in Stockton, California.  At age 21 he entered into business operating the Superior Cyclery for the repair fo bicycles and motorcycles.  On December 25, 1911 he married Lena May McKenzie, daughter of John and Christina (McBride) McKenzie.  In 1915 he founded his own machine shop in Lodi and during World War I was employed as a machinist at Bethlehem Steel Company, manufacturing Vans Bumps.  During World War II he was employed at Mare Island Navy Yard in Vallejo, as a machinist.  He died on August 2, 1945 in Lodi, California.  He left his wife and six children.

Contributed by Margaret Van Buskirk Loeffelbein.

Matthew Wadleigh and Family

Reprinted from Pedigree Pointers, Vol. VIII, No. 3, Spring 1986

Matthew Wadleigh was born on September 22, 1821 in the town of Hatley, County of Stanstead in the Province of Quebec. His parents were Samuel and Mary Evans Wadleigh. His father came from Sutton, New Hampshire and his mother from Hartland, Vermont. When Matthew was 2 1/2 years old, his father was killed in an accident. His mother then married Jonathan V. Pool from Stanstead who was a farmer. Matthew farmed until he was 35 years old. He came to Wisconsin in 1857 and settled at Jordan. He came to Stevens Point in 1860 and ran a general store in connection with lumbering. He formed a partnership with his father-in-law, Lemuel P. Harvey, and together they erected a sawmill on the Big Plover River. When Mr. Harvey died in 1859, Matthew bought out the heirs and conducted the mill and lumbering business by himself. He then bought the McGreer property at Jordan and went into business with J.A. Walker. Mr. Walker bought the property adjoining the McGreer mill which consisted of lands and water power. Matthew then bought out Mr. Walker and ran it alone.

On March 30, 1844, Matthew married Judith Harvey in Compton, Canada. She was born May 2, 1825 in Compton, Sherbrook County, Quebec. Her parents were Lemuel and Fletcher Harvey. Matthew and Judith had seven children, two sons dying in infancy. The other children were:

1. Harvey M. Wadleigh born May 16, 1845 in Hatley, Quebec. He came to Wisconsin with his parents. He attended the University of Wisconsin, a preparatory school at New Albany, Illinois, Harvard and graduated from Williams College in Williamstown, Massachusetts. He was in the lumber business with his father. On November 18, 1877 he married Lora B. Ellis, the daughter of A. G. Ellis and Eliza Brueninger. They had four children: Matthew, Judith, Ruth and Samuel. His obituary says that he was "a man of broad views, thorough education and the possessor of a remarkable memory." The family residence was at the corner of Plover and Brawley Streets. His wife Lora attended finishing school in Milwaukee specializing in music and art. She was the author of magazine articles, poems, songs and musical compositions. After Harvey's death she built a home on the corner of Fremont and College Ave. In 1914 she sold part of this property to the state for a dorm for the University and moved the house further east to its present location. Harvey Wadleigh died on March 14, 1902. His body was taken to Milwaukee where it was cremated in accordance with his wishes.

2. Mary Louise Wadleigh was born in Hatley, Quebec on March 4, 1847. She came to Stevens Point with her parents. On August 18, 1870 she married Andrew J. Agnew. They moved to Detroit, Michigan, Indianapolis, Indiana and then back to Stevens Point. They had four children: Eva, Madge, Harvey and Rachel. The family residence was on the corner of Wisconsin and Pine. She died at Grace Hospital in Detroit on July 13, 1891. She and her husband are buried in Forest Cemetery.

3. Lucy C. Wadleigh was born in Hatley, Quebec on September 20, 1851. Her obituary states that she moved to Wisconsin and lived in Hatley (I assume Marathon County) where Matthew had his first mill and home. She was married to Albert Cate in 1876. He was the son of Judge George Cate. They lived in Stevens Point until 1889 when they moved to Amherst. In 1910 they moved to Phoenix, Arizona. Albert died in 1935 and is buried there. Lucy then moved to Fullerton City, California where she died July 4, 1939. She was buried beside her husband in Phoenix. They had one son, Garth Gate, who worked for World Telegram in New York City.

4. Elizabeth C. Wadleigh was born in Canada on February 25, 1854. She was known as "Lizzie". She was married to F. G. Kirwan in 1873. They had two children, Ethel and Mabel. She died at her home on Main Street on June 10, 1891. "Death was caused by meningitis and resulted from partaking of a portion of a cucumber and other desirable food on Friday evening when she was just recovering after a long illness with pneumonia. Dr. Russell was called to operate but gangrene had already set in." She is buried in Forest Cemetery.

5. Eva Marie Wadleigh was born in Stevens Point on March 30, 1859. She was described as "beautiful". She was married to Willis W. Haseltine on March 24, 1879. He was a lawyer. There was quite a scandal connected with Eva which caused a lot of grief for the family. W. W. Haseltine suspected that Eva was "cheating" on him. He had heard rumors and had made an investigation and found them to be true. He then shot and killed Amos E. Morse in front of Matthew Wadleigh's house as he was passing in a horse and buggy on June 19, 1886. There was a big trial and every detail is given in the GAZETTE. Willis Haseltine was found not guilty because of temporary insanity. This is not the end of the story, however. John and Henry Curran had had it "in" for W. W. Haseltine ever since the shooting of Amos Morse. On April 3, 1888 when W. W. was walking near the store of John O. Johnsen and opposite the Curran House he was shot and instantly killed. Ten shots had entered the side of the Johnsen building and two more holes were found in a salt barrel. A shot gun using large size buck shot was used. An inquest decided that "Willis W. Haseltine came to his death by wounds in his head and body from buckshot fired from a gun in the hands of J. D. Curran". Both Henry and John Curran were tried for the crime but were never convicted. Mr. Haseltine was taken to Brooklyn, Wisconsin for burial. He had requested to be buried beside his little child if something were to happen to him, but his father asked to have his remains sent to Brooklyn. Eva died on November 13, 1890 at the Lincoln Park Sanitarium in Chicago from typhoid fever. She is buried in Forest Cemetery.

Judith Wadleigh, the mother of the above children died from a stroke on her 72nd birthday, May 2, 1897. She had lived at the corner of Smith and Main Streets for the past 31 years. She is buried in Forest Cemetery.

Matthew Wadleigh died on March 12, 1905 at St. Mary's Hospital in Oshkosh, Wisconsin. His obituary states the following: "Mr. Wadleigh was the possessor of a bright mind and a remarkable memory, which he retained up to the very last. Few men were better posted than he, and he had a strong personality, commanding the esteem of his fellow citizens at all times. As a conversationalist he was ever interesting, being able to go to the bottom of questions and problems that agitated the public mind or came before the public in the usual business trend of life. His advice and counsel was often sought by friends and neighbors and at all times he endeavored to give the best that was in him. As a reasoner he always seemed to go to the bottom of things and he never lost an opportunity to take part in an intelligent discussion." Mr. Wadleigh served as mayor of Stevens Point in 1873. Wadleigh Street is named after him. He is buried in Forest Cemetery.

Researched by: Donna Hanson


Thomas K. Wilcox & wife Mary Jane Fowler

Reprinted from Pedigree Pointers, Vol. IV, No. 4, July 1982

Thomas K. Wilcox was born in Pennsylvania on February 11, 1828 being the oldest of fifteen children. He ran away from home when he was 19 years old and worked on a Mississippi flatboat for several years. At the breaking out of the Mexican War he enlisted in a southern regiment and went to fight. He contacted typhoid fever and was sick for a year. His father finally went to get him and took him back to Ohio where they were living.

He was married to Mary Jane Fowler on October 5, 1851 in Portville, New York. They lived in Chattaraugus County, N.Y. and McKean County, Penn. for several years, then moved to Sunbury, Ohio where his parents were living.

In 1855 he got "gold fever" and went to California by the way of Panama and spent four years there searching for gold. He returned to Ohio and in 1863 or 1864 came west and spent a few months in Iowa before coming to the pineries. His wife and children joined him in Stevens Point in 1865. Three years later they moved to Eau Pleine and then to a farm at Knowlton in 1871. He was engaged in lumbering and farming until his death at age 80 on April 20, 1908.

Mary Jane Fowler was born October 15, 1831 at Homer, Courtland County, N.Y. Although not mentioned in their obituaries, Jane must have run a hotel after they settled in Ohio, according to the story by her daughter, Florence.

They had seven children, three who died early in life. The other children were: Frank who lived on the home farm, William who lived in Rhinelander, Mrs. C. S. Blair who lived in Mosinee, and Mrs. G. A. Whitney who lived in Stevens Point.

Jane Wilcox lived to be 87 years old and died on April 14, 1918. She and her husband are buried in the Knowlton Cemetery in Knowlton north of Stevens Point in Marathon County.

SOURCES: STEVENS POINT JOURNAL, April 21, 1908, THE GAZETTE, April 17, 1918,
Gravestones, Knowlton Cemetery. Researched by Donna Hanson

Uriah Wilmot

Reprinted from Pedigree Pointers, Vol. IX, No. 2, Winter 1987

Uriah Wilmot was born in the town of Farmington, Hartford County, Connecticut on September 20, 1786. At the age of 17 years he started out with a horse and cart traveling through New York and the southern states selling notions. He was called the "Yankee Peddler" by his customers. In his travels through New York he became acquainted with Delilah Cook whom he later married.

Uriah fought in the War of 1812 enlisting under General William Henry Harrison fighting in northern New York, Ohio and Indiana.

In 1821 he located with his family in Tioga township, Tioga County, Pennsylvania. He farmed and operated a sawmill. In 1843 Uriah moved to Boone County, Illinois along with his son Samuel and his family. The rest of Uriah's family came to Boone County in July of 1844. In 1853 Uriah settled in Portage County, Wisconsin getting 80 acres of land in Section 34 of Amherst Township with a land grant given him by the government for serving in the War of 1812.

Uriah and Delilah had ten children. Amanda married Edward Wright and they had eight children. David was born April 4, 1815 and died February 17, 1899. He married Mary Jane Allen. They are buried in Lower Amherst Cemetery. Eliza married David Allen. She was born August 8, 1817 and died February 24, 1885. They are buried in Lower Amherst Cemetery. The Allen's were another pioneer family settling in the county coming from Tioga County, Pennsylvania. Phoebe married Chauncey German and had thirteen children. They lived in Michigan. Samuel was born January 15, 1821 and died May 5, 1910. He married Emily Wylie. They are buried in Lower Amherst Cemetery. Emily was the daughter of David Wylie and Elizabeth Jarvis. After David died Elizabeth married his brother, Melancton Wylie and they also migrated to Portage County from Tioga County. George was born in 1824 and died in 1894. He married Caroline White. He is buried in Lower Amherst Cemetery. Joel died in boyhood in Pennsylvania. John married Maria Rockefeller and they had four children. Hester died in childhood and another Hester married Irvin Pike and they had three children.

Uri Wilmot died on September 11, 1860 at the age of 74 years. Delilah died on August 23, 1859 at the age of 63 years. They are both buried in Lower Amherst Cemetery.



Nick Zurawski Family

Reprinted from Pedigree Pointers, Vol. IV, No. 4, Summer 1984

In order to give some background into the how and why Grandfather Nick Zurawski left Poland and came to the United States, we went into a little of Polish history.  The Polish history and Polish country are beautiful and would be a great asset if this could be made more knowledgeable to us.

Poland as a country was the most trampled on, divided, destroyed country in Europe.  It began as a great and rich country led by many powerful kings.  But because all its population was concentrated around its large cities, the outlying lands were not colonized.  This was looked upon by outside countries as a good opportunity to open all this undeveloped country, and the Germans, Russians, Prussians and Austrians fought after this rich and fertile land.  There were wars after wars throughout Poland, finally bringing the downfall of this country to the point where it was literally wiped off the map.  The people and land were Russianized, Germanized, Prussianized and Austrianized to the point of emigration.  We think this is the reason for Grandfather Zurawski leaving Poland to escape induction and to escape the forceful poverty and economic curtailment imposed by the dominating rulers.

It was in 1878 that Nick Zurawski came to Ellis Island where all immigrants were inspected and examined before they could live in the United States.  Grandfather Zurawski then went to Brooklyn for about four years, after which he followed his two brothers, Joseph and Louis to Stevens Point.  The brothers had bought some farm land three-quarter miles east of the Plover River.  Nick Zurawski worked in Stevens Point as a wagon maker for the Czecholinski Shop, along with his farming.

In 1884 Nick Zurawski married Mary Damaszek, daughter of Thadeus Damaszek, a pioneer farmer of the nearby area.  Nick Zurawski bought thirty acres of land from the brothers in 1887 and built his first home where the family lived until 1898.  He then built a temporary home on the land that he bought which lies on both sides of the Plover River.  In 1907 Grandfather Zurawski built a fourteen room farm house where he lived until his death in 1941.  Grandmother Zurawski died in 1943.  Grandfather Zurawski owned 360 acres of land in Stevens Point.

Many of the Zurawski descendants were farmers and some still own part of the family land; Albina married Jack Janick, Alex's widow Dorothy, Wanda's widower Felix Rozumialski, Chistine married to Al Chojnacki, Victor married to Mayme Kotlewski, and Nick, Jr. and Hattie Bukowski's family.

Rose married John Ramczyk and farmed in Jordan; Frances married Ben Firkus and farmed the adjacent farm; Regina married Joseph Zagrzebski and farmed and operated the Pleasant View Dairy near the homestead; Agnes married Emil Pavelski and farms in Amherst.

Helen married Frank Blasky and operated a tavern across Hwy 10.  Sister Mary DeSales entered the Felician order of nuns and lives in Polonia, Wisconsin.

The other children of Nick and Mary Zurawski moved to Milwaukee; Dan married Josephine Baczynski, Stanley married Bernice Korotko, Pauline married Ted Hrycyna and Clara married Hank Nisiewicz.

Through the love and devotion of Nick and Mary Zurawski, they had the above sixteen children born to them - the third generation.  In the 4th generation there were 75 descendants, in the 5th generation there were 270 descendants and in the 6th generation there were 99 descendants with a total of 461 direct descendants.  Of these relatives, 27 have died leaving 434 living relatives.

Source: The Zurawski Family by Ruth and Lynne Maliszewski.  Submitted by Sharon Ramczyk.